UN Women: Partnerships and Advocacy Analyst
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout effective advocacy tools and strategic partnerships with the civil society.
Under the supervision of the UN Women Country Representative, the Partnership and Advocacy Analyst is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of the organization’s policies in the areas of UN coordination, advocacy, resource mobilization and partnership with civil society to achieve gender equality and advancement of women. The incumbent provides technical, policy and programme support for the creation and dissemination of knowledge products in support of UN Women advocacy, and for the development and implementation of global, regional and national programme strategies. She/He will work in close collaboration with UNCT members, Government officials, civil society partners, representatives of the international development community and media outlets.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical support to strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts in the Jordan Country Office (CO):
- Provide coordination and technical support in building trust and mantain effective partnerships with multilateral institutions/donors, private sector, youth and civil society to expand and/or sustain interest and resources for UN Women programs and joint UN system programs, including through the organization of dedicated activities and promotional events;
- Provide inputs to the organization of the Gender Donor Coordination Group’s periodic meetings and ensuring proper liaising with the donor community on issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Provide technical support in the strategic planning and development of specific programme fund-raising strategies and approaches, including research and engagement on prospective traditonal and non-traditional partners.
Provide advocacy and communication support to the Jordan Country Office:
- Update the Country Office Annual Communication Strategy, develop content and ensure proper management/monitoring of the CO website and social media channels;
- Develop, implement, monitor and report advocacy campaigns on issues related to Gender Equality and Weomen’s Empowerment (GEWE), with a specific focus on International Women’s Day, the HeforShe campaign and the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence;
- Develop outreach products such as press releases, media kits, and news articles and collaborate with national media professionals and partner.
Provide technical inputs in knowledge building and sharing, and advocacy efforts on GEWE within the UN System in Jordan:
- Provide technical inputs to the development of gender-specific country programming processes and products, including the implementation of theUNSDF and other UN system joint programming documents;
- Prepare briefing materials for the CO on issues to be discussed in the UN and other events and meetings;
- Follow up on required action/outstanding issues and report on outcome/result. Alert the Country Representative/CO on critical issues for action to be addressed;
- Participate in the country network on coordination, sharing and learning best practices to keep abreast of and/or to contribute to ongoing debates and strategic thinking and to exchange experience and/or seek support on coordination issues affecting UN Women and UN system programs and operations under the United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) 2018-2022.
Provide technical support to the UN Women Jordan Country Office in Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) programme development:
- Implement system-wide tools on gender equality to ensure effective knowledge management and capacity development of the Country Office;
- Provide technical and coordination support to the Country Office in establishing and maintaining effective consultations on programme implementation and partnership development with governments, and implementing partners, and development partners within the framework of the Country Office’s Strategic Note 2018-2021;
- Provide inputs to the network of partners in GEWE in achieving required results on Intergovernmental processes at the country level (CSW, SDGs, CEDAW, BpfA, etc.), including the allignment with global norms, policies and standards.
Key Performance Indicators:
The functions of the incumbent have direct impacts on strengthening UN coordination, advocacy, programming and partnership with the civil society to achieve gender equality and advancement of women. Additionally, support the creation and dissemination of knowledge products in support of UN Women advocacy, and for the development and implementation of global, regional and national programme strategies.
- Timely and quality GEWE inputs to UN system reports, events, and activities;
- Increase in resources mobilized and interest in GEWE;
- Quality support to partners on achieving GEWE goals;
- Increase in awareness and exposure to UN Women’s work and mission in country;
- Timely updating of communication channels.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf.
- Good knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Ability to provide policy advice and support to partners;
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment;
- Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to establish partnerships with different internal and external stakeholders;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to identify and analyse trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Masters) in international development, public administration, public policy or other relevant social science fields.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience working on UN coordination / development issues, developing advocacy and communication tools and supporting programme implementation;
- Experience working in the region is an asset;
- Experience working with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Arabic language is desirable.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.