Regional Protection Advisor
Do you have a passion for protection within the humanitarian sector? If yes, then you might be the one we are looking for!
Who are we?
DRC is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in some 40 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, legal aid and a wide range of other protection assistance
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey and a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region.
About the job
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Head of Programmes for DRC MENA, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting DRC/DDG in quality protection programming at the regional and country level (Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria). This includes providing support, advice, and quality checks on protection aspects of country and regional strategies as well as on programming initiatives and concrete projects. As the technical focal point for country protection staff, the DRC Regional Protection Advisor will lead initiatives focused on enhancing DRC’s policy responses upholding human rights and promotion of durable solutions so that no refugee must be in want of help to find protection and durable solutions. Based in Amman, Jordan, the Regional Protection Advisor will support DRC’s wider work in the MENA region, which is grounded in protection of displaced persons.
The most direct counterparts for the RPA in her/his daily work will be protection coordinators or managers in the individual country programmes. The RPA will have an advisory and technical role vis-à-vis the protection staff in the country operations. The RPA will report to the Regional Head of Programmes for DRC MENA and have a technical compliance reporting line to DRC’s Protection Global Specialist Lead in HQ.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the roll out of global DRC protection standards and guidance, development of strategic protection documents, SOPs capacity-building tools at the regional level and provide technical support to country offices, particularly in the following programmatic areas: legal aid / assistance, GBV, community-based protection and child protection
- Provide technical support to country programmes to ensure quality protection analysis, strategies and responses in adherence with global standards and principles
- Provide technical expertise and support to regional and country programmes on strategic documents, advocacy and policy papers, protection proposals, to ensure the harmonisation of protection approaches across the different countries in the region
- Technical input into the development of outcome level protection components, tools and provide guidance for mainstreaming and integrating protection in DRC/DDG proposals and interventions
- Ensure country capacity on Protection Information Management (PIM) is of a good quality and standards.
- Represent DRC in regional protection coordination meetings when relevant.
- Make links with Regional Office initiatives such as the Mixed Migration Platform and Durable Solutions Platform in coordination with the Regional Head of Programmes.
- Liaise with DRC Global Protection Team / protection technical experts in Copenhagen and ensure proper coordination, dissemination of policies, standards or guidelines to countries and as well as act as interface between countries and GPT / Protection GSL for specific requests coming from the field.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Minimum 5 years of senior working experience in Protection at field level
- Advanced academic qualification in a relevant field (law, social sciences or related disciplines).
- A clear understanding of conflict and displacement-related protection issues, legal frameworks and professional standards in humanitarian and displacement contexts.
- Experience in an international organisation
- Being able to live/work overseas
- Good networking skills
- Fluent in English
- Field protection experience from one of the concerned countries is an added advantage
- Proven experience in leading and conducting research will be an added advantage
- Having a clear understanding of the regional protection situation in the MENA region
- Good IT command
- Arabic would be an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a one year contract. You must be available to start work from December 2017 and be willing and able to work in Amman.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.org under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A12 level for Expatriates.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 31 October 2017.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2017-10-31