Donor Reporting Specialist
The Stabilization Facility for Libya aims to bridge the critical period of transition from initial humanitarian relief towards mid- and long-term structural and sector-specific support. It includes time-bound quick interventions at the municipality level that seek to enhance the legitimacy of the Government of National Accord (GNA) within the Libyan population through provision of concrete improvements and peace dividends at the community level through rehabilitation of critical infrastructure, building the capacity of local authorities to address the needs of their population, and enhancing local mediation and conflict resolution capacities and processes. The Stabilization Facility will be Libya-led, with the Prime Minister or his representative chairing the Board jointly with the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary General, and the activities being implemented in cooperation with Libyan local authorities. The stabilization activities will be guided by quick conflict and needs assessments and consultations with local authorities and other relevant local stakeholders, such as civil society organizations. The Facility will be initially limited to specific localities depending on available funding, but must be scalable to encompass the entire state territory.
For this objective to be possible, the Facility needs to ensure that the key message – that the GNA is meeting the needs of citizens from all parts of Libya – is delivered consistently and effectively. This requires skillful development of messages and communications material – largely media material, both traditional and social media – and their refinement to suit the SFL’s various audiences.
One important aspect of this is the production of timely reports for the SFL’s donors. The SFL aims to provide monthly updates on progress, to supplement the fuller reports provided to Board meetings (roughly quarterly) and the project’s Annual Report.
Under the guidance of the Country Director and direct supervision of the SFL Project Manager, the Donor Reporting Specialist will design and generate communications material for periodic reports for donors and the public. (S)he will work closely with the Country Office Communications Specialist to ensure coherence with the CO communication strategy. (S)he will also liaise closely with the UNDP Libya Social Media Assistant on social media aspects of the SFL’s work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Develop and update the SFL web presence, including SFL material on the UNDP Libya website, and other broadcast material.
- Develop and update the SFL city briefs, and other SFL material for narrowcast communication
- Draft and finalize monthly, quarterly and annual reports to SFL contributors.
Supervises the development and updating of the SFL web presence, including SFL material on the UNDP Libya website, and other broadcast material, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributions to development of the SFL communications material to report widely on project achievements and progress, in close coordination with Country Office Communications Specialist, so that they deliver the primary SFL message of GNA legitimacy through effectiveness clearly and convincingly.
- Regular provision of SFL-related stories, pictures and other material / links so that the UNDP website adequately reports on the latest news of SFL.
- Design / refreshment of the other SFL web presence and products, ensuring that they are kept up-to-date and relevant and that they deliver the key SFL messages.
- Support for other broadcast materials supporting the key SFL messages, in close coordination with the Country Office Communications Specialist.
- Organization of the photographic and videographic resources of the SFL so that they are readily accessible to SFL staff, up-to-date, and of appropriate quality.
- Swift and responsive preparation of material in response to public inquiries and challenges, for submission to the Project Manager.
Develop and update the SFL city briefs, and other SFL material for reporting of project progress through narrowcast communication, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Under the guidance of the Country Office Communications Specialist and in close liaison with the GNA Head of Communications and other key SFL partners in Government, agreement on the narrowcast elements of a SFL communications plan to deliver the agreed SFL communications strategy, and definition of a rolling delivery plan.
- Up-to-date city briefs on SFL implementation – in Arabic in particular, but also in English – ensuring that all those who need them have ready access to them.
- Supporting material to facilitate reporting on progress and the delivery of narrowcast communications by partners, including Output 3 implementing partners as well as Government.
- Preparation of response / rebuttal material for use in foreseeable contingencies.
- Swift and responsive preparation of material in response to private inquiries and challenges, for submission to the Project Manager
Ensures the production of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and other material to SFL contributors focusing on achieving the following results:
- Reporting on progress of delivery of goods and civil works in all project locations through regular updating of the procurement, engineering and financial monitoring systems in coordination with relevant parts of the Country Office.
- Provide regular, comprehensive, accurate and comprehensible reporting to the Project Manager to allow her/him to assess progress and allocate resources appropriately to deliver the SFL’s goals.
- Support the Project Manager in monthly and other periodic reports to SFL contributors / donors and to the Board and the general public.
- Timely submission of drafts of all donor-related communications & other material to the Project Manager.
- Maintain and update donor reporting monitoring tool on a regular basis and develop other tools needed to improve overall reporting.
Impact of results:
The impact of the key results will come through effective communication about the Stabilization Facility for Libya and disseminations of information both to Libyan citizens and to donors. In particular, the key results have an impact in support of greater legitimacy of the GNA thanks to Libyan citizens’ perception that it is delivering benefits to which they attach priority. The key results also aim to strengthen the impact of the SFL through greater donor appreciation of its effectiveness, and hence better-informed donor support.
This will arise because more citizens appreciate the efforts made by the GNA through the SFL. This in turn requires both that Libyans know of the SFL’s achievements and that they attribute them to the GNA. Both form essential elements of the reporting and communications tasks.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies.
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means.
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Identifying and building partnerships
- Sensitizes SFL partners, donors and other international organizations to the Facility’s strategic agenda.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Developing promotional projects and organizational messages
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of messages
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing, political / development studies or other similar discipline.
5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level. Previous experience with a government or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Previous experience in post-conflict countries an advantage. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in English, Arabic an asset.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tunis (Tunisia)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Communication and Public Information
- International Relations
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: 2017-11-03
NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position