Under the overall guidance of the UNDP Country Director and direct supervision of the Assistant Country Director. The Gender Coordinator works on design and support of a coherent and systematic approach to gender mainstreaming in the programmes; acts as a programme policy advisor in planning and monitoring of programme activities; provides support in overall coordination of the UNDP Gender Focal Team and is responsible for coordination of day-to-day substantial tasks assigned within UNDP Gender Equality Strategy and in line with organization objectives.
The Gender Coordinator works in close collaboration with the Team Leaders, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP Regional and HQs Gender Focal Points and Government officials, as well as with local and international donors, civil society and all partners in ensuring successful implementation of UNDP corporate and country specific gender strategies and initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor, manage and provide oversight to the different steps and stages of project execution and timely actions to ensure results are achieved.
- Establish the work plan, activities, targets, budget, standards for measuring progress and results and determine the processes, tools and methodologies to be used to ensure effective and efficient project implementation and operations and achievement of results.
- Plan and oversee the implementation of mid-term and other required project evaluation to address any design or implementation issues.
- Authorize and/or approve the appropriate use of human, financial, assets and other organizational resources.
- Facilitate the preparation for Project Committees and Project Management Team Meetings and other designated forums and follow up on all decisions taken to ensure implementation and/or timely action.
- Submit required and other project reports (progress, financial, procurement, etc) for management information, communication, oversight and action.
- Support Projects Coordinators in formulation, implementation and evaluation activities from substantive point of view on issues related to gender mainstreaming and women empowerment;
- Monitor regularly the UNDP Programmes and Projects work plans and reports on gender-related issues;
Technical guidance advice and substantive leadership
- Lead and coordinate the implementation of the UNDP Country Office strategic plan on gender and the UNDP global gender strategy
- Assess programme impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results. Develop innovative approaches to enhance performance.
- Contribute to the preparation and finalization of UNDPs annual reports on the implementation of the gender equality strategy.
- Lead and/or undertake research, compilation, analysis and evaluation of gender dimensions of social economic and humanitarian issues and advise senior management, program staff and partners on the design and development of policy and program interventions.
- Undertake analysis of gender policy and programme documents including country office reports to institutionalize gender development effectiveness and mainstreaming.
- Develop performance indicators and guidelines for effective compliance with the Strategic Plan and score card.
Knowledge and capacity building
- Develop and widely disseminate knowledge products to strengthen organizational and governmental capacity on gender issues and to establish conceptual clarity on gender mainstreaming and research on emerging gender issues
- Introduce innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promote its application and mainstreaming across UNDP country office.
- Access organizational worldwide and regional knowledge, best practices and lessons learned, distil best practices and ensure its dissemination for organizational and stakeholders learning and sharing.
- Develop a strategic plan for learning and development and lead the implementation of training activities on gender mainstreaming techniques. Organize trainings for operations and program staff
- Identify areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- Track and monitor progress on gender mainstreaming across all focus areas of the UNDP country programme
- Develop methodologies and guidelines for promoting effective gender mainstreaming across all UNDP intervention areas.
- Document lessons learned from past gender projects to accelerate the achievement of gender results at the regional level.
Strategic partnerships and Resource Mobilisation
- Build new partnerships with stakeholders identified by project board committees
- Maintain dialogue with partners and stakeholders to advocate, promote and advance gender issues, priorities, interests and competencies.
- Coordinate and collaborate with clients, partners and stakeholders to link and harmonize approaches and to promote common interests and achievement of results.
- Represent UNDP Uganda Country office in national, regional and global fora to promote, advocate and speak for the organizational on strategic and common issues
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Liaise with relevant government and non-government parties in charge of the national gender equity policy;
Impact of Results
The Gender Coordinator’s performance will be determined on the basis of assessment of the impact of his/her contribution on:
Overall programme quality, effectiveness and efficiency
Targeted Local Government’s level of engagement and extent of stakeholders’ ownership of programme strategies and outcomes; and
Timeliness and quality of progress reporting.
Policy support advise provided to the CO Office staff on gender empowerment and gender equality issues in accordance with the UN and UNDP policies, strategies and the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy;
On general coordination of the UNDP Gender Focal Team;
Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Strong IT skills, Atlas
Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Management and Leadership
Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
Master degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Gender Studies and/ or development related studies.
Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience in managing/coordinating projects and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, of which at least 3 years of experience should be with significant focus on gender empowerment and gender equality advisory services and/ or in gender programming/ gender project management;
Strong knowledge of the issues in the relevant component;
Be familiar with development methodologies, including participatory approaches to strategic planning, strategic management and the management of institutional change in developing countries;
Experience of work with the international organizations, high-level government officials representing central governmental bodies and local administrations
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.