ALIMA - NIGERIA - Construction Manager M/F - MAIDUGURI
Maiduguri (Nigeria) | Abuja
Position details : http://candidatures.alima.ong/Position/76
ALIMA supports two health and nutrition projects in Borno State, in Monguno and Maiduguri.
Following a United Nations alert in May about the dire situation of people displaced by conflict in northeastern Nigeria, ALIMA conducted an exploratory mission in Monguno, a city in Borno State where more than 100,000 displaced people are seeking refuge. Working alongside the Ministry of Health, ALIMA vaccinated children against measles. ALIMA found that more than 40% of children were suffering from acute malnutrition, 13 % of whom were suffering from severe acute malnutrition and at a high risk of death. Faced with this major emergency, ALIMA deployed additional resources and has now opened five clinics to provide urgent medical care to displaced people in Monguno. ALIMA teams on the field are providing over 1,000 medical consultations per day, a figure that reveals how alarming the health situation is and the lack of other actors in Monguno, since ALIMA is the only INGO to cover health and nutrition at the moment for over 200,000 people, all the more that internally displaced people are continuing to arrive in Monguno every day.
Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, has seen its population more than double with the influx of people displaced from other areas of the state. Especially in Muna where about 50 000 IDP moved into the Muna Garage camp and all around, the bad sanitarian, medical and nutritional situation has to be addressed. ALIMA is opening a clinic by the end of August, and already provide general consultations for children and adults. Malnutrition cases are managed by the teams, but a larger screening would show how numerous they really are. ALIMA plans to enlarge its activities to provision of services for pregnant women and capacity to take in charge victims of sexual violence.
Mission location: Nigeria, Maiduguri (Borno State) with movements on bases
Line Manager: Project Coordinator / Logistics Coordinator
MISSION AND MAIN ACTIVITIES
Be responsible of all construction and/or rehabilitation projects in the mission. To achieve this: planning them on a short and medium term basis in collaboration with the coordination team, drawing up the projects and coordinating any studies required, overseeing the work progress and ensuring the technical, administrative and financial agreement with ALIMA and Donors protocols, plans, budgets and existing safety standards to ensure that construction works meet the needs of ALIMA programs.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FUNCTION
· Plan construction/rehabilitation projects to be performed in the mission, participating in the project design and development and ensuring that technical aspects are met and the compliance with the local construction habits. This includes:
Design appropriate rehabilitation including planning of financial and human resources needed
Analyze construction plans and resources for the project (labor, equipment, materials, quotes, budget)
Identify the raw materials locally available (water, earth, wood ...)
Plan and coordinate the use of construction machinery and vehicles
Negotiate agreements and permits with local authorities to develop the construction
Call for tenders
· Supervise and monitor the progress of the construction, ensuring that the works are done following ALIMA and Donors protocols and project specifications. This function involves:
Act as an interlocutor with the construction company
Ensure that materials used are the most appropriate (quality control of the work)
Ensure that the required documentation is delivered on time
Do the budget follow-up and inform the superior in case of over expenditure
· Coordinate purchase orders related to the work activity. Namely:
Receives and approves all orders related to construction activity, ensuring it meets with budget and purchase circuit
Prepare orders according to stock material, the work schedule and work progress
Check the material in stock and warehouse inventory control
Provides technical support to the Purchaser for local purchases
· Participate in the preparation of budgets associated to construction/rehabilitation projects, preparing invoices for payment of the works and anticipating the cash flow required for monthly payments
· Follows up and reports on the works’ progress and on technical aspects of the work, participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, Logistics Statistical Report, etc.)
· Provide safety equipment for people who work in construction so as to ensure that all workers comply with safety standards
· Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR Co, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Essential university or technical school diploma, desirable construction or engineering related studies
Essential previous experience in construction (minimum 2 years)
Proven understanding of ALIMA field logistics
Fluency in English ; local language desirable ; speaking French is an asset
Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork
Contract term: contract under French law, 6 months’ renewable
Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
Evacuation of the employee
To apply, please send your CV and your answers to the following questions (you’ll join a Word document) :
1) What do you know about ALIMA and why do you want to be part of it ?
2) How do you place ALIMA in the NGO medical emergency landscape ?
3) In Nigeria, we want to build three district hospital and rehabilitate twenty health centers. We want to work with local contractors. You are ALIMA logistician in charge of construction, responsible of the project. For you, what are the main lines of the procedure to follow ?
4) ALIMA is an organization essentially medical, focused on emergencies. Asked to rehabilitate a medical structure which includes a therapeutic nutrition unit and maternity service. As a construction technician, how do you go ?
5) Please indicate your level both in English and French, written read spoken (scale between 1 and 10, 10 being native speaker).
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “Construction Manager – Nigeria” in the subject line.
Any application without answer to the questions will not be taken into account.
- Organization: ALIMA - Alliance for International Medical Action
- Location: Maiduguri (Nigeria) | Abuja
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Administrative support
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-12-27