Translator for output documents prepared under the Gender Equality Facility Interim Seed Funding Phase
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Gender inequalities are prominent in Albania and are present in all spheres of social participation, interpersonal relationships, and access to important services and resources. Despite positive developments - which include higher overall political representation of women at local level and in the new government, as well as the existence of gender equality legislation - key policy debates and political discourses in general do not yet focus on, nor coherently integrate, gender equality issues. Significant development gaps remain in areas such as employment, income, skill & career development, physical and psychological integrity, property, social security, and access to quality services including health. They highlight that increased attention as well as concerted and coherent action is required across sectors, processes, and institutional structures, with the aim to ensure equal benefits for women and men from ongoing reform.
Considering the significant attention paid to equality concerns under the EU funding Instrument for Pre-Accession (IPA), and particularly by the EU Gender Action Plan II 2016-2020, there is a clear need for development and integration partners, political leaders, and civil servants to base decision-making, prioritization, and programming on succinct information about key gender inequality issues across a range of reform sectors.
Through the Gender Equality Facility in Albania (GEF), UN Women extends its support for gender mainstreaming to reform processes in EU IPA II structural and sector governance reform. This resounds in GEF Objective 1 “In line with EU Directives, sector strategies, and sector programmes including respective action plans are designed with Gender Sensitivity consistently”. In this context, UN Women/GEF has been invited by the Government of Albania and the EU Delegation in Tirana to provide technical expertise to ensure that gender sensitivity is established as a clear and explicit quality marker of Albania’s reform agenda.
To ensure that national and international policy and decision-makers have access to essential gender-sensitive information in future prioritization, resources allocation through the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA), and dialogue between development/integration partners and national government, UN Women is requesting a translator for the translation of several key output documents prepared in the framework of the current UN Women Gender Equality Facility Interim Seed Funding Phase.
Duties and Responsibilities
The translator is tasked to:
- Translate from the English original into Albanian; and
- Language edit the Albanian version of the following documents:
- Technical Note on “Integrating Gender Equality into Albania’s Tourism Sector”;
- Guidance document on “Developing a Baseline Study on Gender and Tourism in Albania”;
- A collection of infographics and visuals communicating gender statistics and the essence of gender in/equality;
- Relevant parts of the updated (2017) version of the advocacy document “Making Governance Work for Women and Men in Albania - the key to future economic and social success”;
- Gender mainstreaming documents, and up to five gender planning documents produced by municipalities in Albania in line with the European Charter for equality of women and men in local life;
- Other output documents produced by the office.
The Translator is expected to provide upon UN Women demand:
- Electronic copies of the translated and language edited versions of the above-mentioned documents. The electronic copies of the language edited version should be provided as one copy in track changes and one clean copy.
Time frame and remuneration:
The duration of the consultancy will be tentatively from 1 November 2017 – 25 March 2018. Payment will be made based on delivery of products; the first payment is foreseen towards the end of November 2017, upon submission and approval of Deliverables (i) to (v). The second (and final) payment will be made upon submission of deliverable (vi), satisfactory completion of work, and official overall approval by UN Women.
The successful contractor will perform tasks from home.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Possesses the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Possesses the ability to work independently;
- Excellent writing skills in preparing briefs, reports, guidelines, articles or similar for various audiences;
- Solid analytical, writing and communication skills in both Albanian and English;
- Strong writing and report writing skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and with a positive, constructive, problem-solving attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
- Relevant education qualifications
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in translating and editing high-quality documents on gender equality
- Previous engagement in translating strategic documents, high-level publications, analyses, and reports on gender mainstreaming across sectors and policy areas in Albania
- Experience of working with international organizations, including UN Agencies, is an advantage
Language Requirements: Excellent written and oral English and Albanian communication skills.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments:
- Financial Proposal
UN Women Albania applies fixed rates for translation services based on UNDP local fixed rates for nationals. As such, UN Women asks availability of interpreters/translators who have been engaged repeatedly and have provided high-quality services for UN Women and the UN in Albania.
- Payment will be made upon (i) satisfactory completion of tasks; (ii) provision of deliverables specified in the ToR; (iii) certification of performance; and (iv) submission of the respective Certification of Payment.
Evaluation of applicants:
Candidates will be evaluated only for the technical qualifications, given that standard UN rates for translation apply.
Technical Evaluation – 100 Total Points
- Relevant education qualifications (20 points)
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in translating and editing high-quality documents on gender equality (30 points)
- Previous engagement in translating strategic documents, high-level publications, analyses, and reports on gender mainstreaming across sectors and policy areas in Albania (30 points)
- Experience of working with international organizations, including UN Agencies, is an advantage (20 points)
Qualified and interested candidates are asked to submit their application no later than 30 October 2017.
- A Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability including a brief description explaining why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment.
- UN Women Personal History Form (P11) including past experience in similar assignment. Can be downloaded at: http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the following steps:
- Download and complete the UN Women Personal History Form (P11);
- Merge your UN Women Personal History Form (P11) and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system