International Gender Training Consultant: Enhancing Resilience and social cohesion among Refugee women and host community women
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women in Turkey is working to strengthen refugee women and girls and their access to opportunities, rights and services, as required by international treaties and national legislation. UN Women launched this year an assessment in seven cities on the needs of refugee women and girls, their challenges in accessing services.
UN Women in Turkey is furthermore, as part of refugee response programming, implementing the project: “Gaziantep Women-Only Centre: Providing Livelihood Support”, that aims to support the social and economic stabilization of refugee women, and to contribute to their self-reliance and ability to co-exist with women from the host community by creating a women-only center to provide Syrian and host community women with: (I) a protected social space with childcare, referral services and language/vocational/empowerment skills development; (ii) a platform for dialogue, co-existence and the development of joint empowerment activities. The project forms an integral part of the UN Women’s Country Programme Document entitled «Increasing the Resilience of Women Refugees in Turkey».
The Gaziantep Women-only Centre will serve women with a Temporary Protection Status as well as women from the host community. The need for such a center was identified as an emergency priority by UN Women during a fact-finding mission in the summer of 2016. While several centers currently function in Gaziantep to meet Syrians’ needs, this one will specifically be “women-only,” offering a protected space to the most marginalized and vulnerable women who until now have had had little access to existing services.
In this context UN Women in Turkey plans to hire a international expert to provide guidance and trainings on women’s empowerment including on fostering capacities of local partners in providing gender sensitive refugee response services.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibility of the Consultant is to provide UN WOMEN consultancy services for women's empowerment trainings and workshop in order to enhance refugee women’s resilience and to enhance gender responsive local services with the overall aim of strengthening Resilience of Syrian Women and Girls and Host Community. The training programmes will include elements of leadership, active participation, and women’s access to rights and human rights.
Within the scope of the Assignment; the consultant is expected to provide consultancy services for the below listed generic taks:
- Design, develop, and deliver of training manual, tools and workshops for women's empowerment to enhance refugee women’s resilience, (interpretation will be provided whenneeded). The training modules should focus on the following areas: building solidarity; gender equality; access to rights, women’s human rights; local service provision for women and children; mechanisms for protection and prevention of GBV; early and force-marriages and etc.
- Desk review of the relevant manuals used by other UN Agencies.
- Provide support to the national gender expert in the center for the alignment and implementing of training programs.
- Participate in a dialogue with partners in developing future strategy in enhancing resilience among refugee women through training and workshops, if required.
The consultant will work under the overall supervision and guidance of the UN Women in Turkey Gaziantep Project Manager and in close collaboration with the International Gender and Humanitarian Consultant.
Duration of Assignment:
17 November 2017- 31 March 2018 - (up to 45 working days in total, of which up to 22 working days in Gaziantep and up to 5 working days in Ankara, up to 18 working days home-based)
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality inputs to training programme design and delivery;
- Timely and quality inputs to workplans;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely organization of events;
- Number of knowledge products developed.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues, particularly in the refugee context;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings;
- Good knowledge of technical area;
- Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/ women’s studies, refugee studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- At least five years experience in developing training manuals and delivering training programmes;
- At least 3 years of working experience in gender training required.
- Min 2 years experience in enhancing refugee resilience particulary focussion on women and girls;
- Min 1 year experience working with Syrian refugees in the Arab States and/or in Turkey.
- At least 2 years experience in delivering training to government officials, international organizations, civil society or NGOs is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required;
- Knowledge of Turkish and Arabic is an asset.