Gender Expert for the National Assembly
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action globally. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Within the UNDP led Legislative Support Project (LSP II), UN Women will support the National Assembly to undertake gender mainstreaming in all its functions, in line with the delivery on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and in particular on Goal 5 on gender equality and Goal 16 relating to good governance and strong institutions.
The National Assembly is committed to respond to the needs and interests of both men and women in its own structures, operations, methods and in its core legislative and oversight functions. To ensure gender is mainstreamed in all functions of the National Assembly, UN Women will support a National Gender Expert to provide technical support to the National Assembly’s Gender Officer and Legislative Support Project II implementation team to institutionalize gender mainstreaming and monitor progress on gender equality in the various functions and structures of the National Assembly. The consultant will monitor closely and provide support to the undertaking of the gender assessment of the National Assembly, development of the gender strategy, implementation of the gender strategy which will aim to institutionalize gender mainstreaming and monitor progress by introducing various gender tools to the National Assembly.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Head of Leadership, Political Participation and Governance and the Clerk of the National Assembly, the Gender Expert will work to perform the following functions:
- In close coordination with the UN Women Tanzania Women Leadership Political Participation team, the consultant will support the UNDP and National Assembly LSP II teams by ensuring high quality gender expertise is available to guide the mainstreaming of gender within the implementation of LSP II, including the provision of gender training sessions when required;
- Develop annual workplans and budgets and ensure their implementation;
- Manage the technical implementation of Output 5 of LSP II including the development and implementation of the comprehensive gender assessment, Gender Strategy and HeForShe Advocacy Strategy of the National Assembly;
- Ensure specific tools are developed to guide the institutionalization of gender mainstreaming and monitoring of progress of the implementation of the Gender Strategy and HeForShe Advocacy Strategy of the National Assembly;
- Increase gender capacity at the National Assembly through gender training programmes for implementation of the Gender Strategy and the HeForShe Advocacy Strategy;
- Provide regular reports based on results based management tools and performance indicators, as well as briefings and updates on project implementation to feed into the overall internal UN Women reporting, donor reports and other processes, as requested by the Project Management team and the National Assembly;
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to the implementation of the LSP II gender mainstreaming and implementation of Output 5;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to gender equality within the National Assembly, as requested.
- Perform any other functions, requested by Senior Management, as related to the above functions.
- Report of workshops with MPs, National Assembly Legislative Support Project II (LSP II) implementation teams and staff on gender, gender strategy, HeForShe Strategy and action plans
- Gender tools to institutionalize gender mainstreaming and monitor progress on implementation of the Gender Strategy and HeForShe Advocacy Strategy of the National Assembly
- Report of workshop with National Assembly LSP II implementation teams and staff to introduce gender tools to institutionalize gender mainstreaming and monitor progress
- Approved monthly reports and plans for gender advisory support, recommendations and guidance for mainstreaming gender more effectively in the National Assembly LSP II
- Approved monthly and annual project implementation plans;
- Reports of project meetings/workshops, inputs, briefings, updates and overall project implementation reports, as per required formats;
The consultancy shall be undertaken over a period of 3 months that will start running from the date of signing the consultancy agreement, with the possibility of extension.
The consultant is expected to develop and submit monthly reports as per the agreed terms of reference.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN Women’s values and ethical standards
- Proven experience as a gender advisor to high level public officials/institutions
- Extensive knowledge of regional and national gender standards and experience in best practices in promoting women’s rights
- Excellent interpersonal, intercultural and networking with a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships
- Extensive knowledge and ability to work in the context of the National Assembly including its rules of procedure and Code of Conduct
- Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
- Demonstrates interpersonal and diplomatic skills, as well as the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders and to present ideas clearly and effectively
- Strong analytical and drafting skills
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools
- Strong culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Be strong team player with effective interpersonal skills
- Energetic, positive and constructive attitude
- Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication
Required Skills and Experience
A. Academic Qualifications:
Master’s degree in Law, Social Sciences, Gender/Women’s Studies, Political Science or any other relevant field
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in the field of gender equality and women’s rights;
- At least 5 years of proven experience in organizing, facilitating and conducting seminars, trainings and round tables with state institutions/agencies/organizations and the Parliament, on gender related issues;
- Experience of advisory support on gender mainstreaming in various interventions/initiatives;
- Track record of producing timely and high quality written reports and a proven background and experience at the national level in the field of women’s rights and gender equality, including in gender mainstreaming, development of gender tools including training manuals and materials;
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with results based management (RBM) is a strong advantage;
- Working experience with international inter-governmental organizations is an asset;
- Excellent understanding of the mandate, structures, procedures and processes of Parliaments is required;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills with a high level of proficiency in both written and oral English;
- Excellent domain of Swahili is required.
Submission of application & criteria for selection
Interested national consultant need to submit the following documentation in support of their application:
- One cover letter: Explaining why the candidate is the most suitable for the work;
- Proposed approach and envisioned work plan;
- UN Women Personal History Form (P11), which can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment ;
- Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document
- The travel costs will be as per UN Standard Regulations..