Consultancy to Design HeForShe Advocacy Strategy for the National Assembly
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
HeForShe is UN Women’s global campaign to engage men and boys as advocates and agents of change for the achievement of gender equality and women’s rights. The campaign provides a systematic approach and targeted platform where a global audience can engage and become change agents for the achievement of gender equality. The campaign encourages an innovative, inclusive approach that mobilizes people both men and women as advocates, and acknowledges the ways that we all benefit from this equality.
UNDP in Partnership with UN Women Tanzania under the UNDP led Legislative Support Project (LSP) II 2017-2021 will provide support to the National Assembly to enhance its effectiveness, transparency and inclusiveness in fulfilling its Constitutional mandate and operating in accordance with international good practices for democratically functioning parliaments, through among others ensuring that gender is mainstreamed in all functions of the National Assembly. If the National Assembly is to deliver on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and in particular on Goal 5 on gender equality and Goal 16 relating to good governance and strong institutions, it must embody women’s rights and gender equality and lead by example.
The National Assembly is committed to respond to the needs and interests of both men and women in its own structures, operations, methods and in its core legislative and oversight functions. To ensure gender is mainstreamed in the National Assembly, UN Women Tanzania will support a process of designing HeForShe Advocacy Strategy 2017-2020. The HeForShe Advocacy Strategy will assist to promote male MPs as champions and Change Agents for gender equality in and outside the National Assembly. This will be followed by an implementation plan for the HeForShe Advocacy Strategy and the development of tailored gender training modules for the HeForShe Champions to facilitate implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Head of Leadership, Political Participation and Governance and the Clerk of the National Assembly, the National Consultant will work closely with the LSP II implementation team to achieve the below objectives:
- The National Assembly has an increased number of male HeForShe champions who will serve as advocates for gender equality and women’s empowerment within the laws and policies passed in the National Assembly
- Male gender champions have an increased knowledge and capacities to effectively implement the HeForShe Campaign
- Inception report including the methodology for the development of HeForShe Advocacy Strategy, training materials and delivery of training, including the tools for data collection;
- Presentation of the inception report at the inception meeting with UN Women, UNDP and the National Assembly;
- Final Inception Report with inputs incorporated resulting of the inception meeting;
- Desk/literature review on best practices of national, regional and global experiences/practices on male engagement Advocacy;
- Undertake a consultative process for developing the HeforShe Campaign Strategy for the National Assembly;
- Comprehensive HeForShe Advocacy Strategy and implementation Plan for the National Assembly, including but not limited to the following:
- Gender Terms and Concepts
- Contextual Analysis
- Analysis of national, regional and global experiences/practices on HeForShe Advocacy
- Scope and methodology to be used for the implementation of the Strategy, including the use of media and advocacy tools for greater impact;
- Criteria to identify, propose HeforShe champions/role models and ensure their engagement;
- The Campaign approach, issues to be addressed, clear objectives, roles and responsibilities of champions
- Monitoring and evaluation framework
- Strategic Framework (objectives/ goals/ indicators)
Gender training programme and materials with a focus on the implementation of the HeForShe Advocacy Strategy
- Submit draft documents (HeForShe Campaign Strategy, Implementation Plan, Training Programme and module) for review and final documents after incorporating comments
- Report of the validation workshop to present the HeForShe Advocacy Strategy, implementation Plan and Training modules for the National Assembly including NA staff, MPs, specific Committees and TWPG
- Report of the validation workshop to present within the NA management team
- Report of training to National Assembly staff on HeForShe Advocacy
The consultancy shall be undertaken over a period of 30 days that will start running from the date of signing the consultancy agreement.
The consultant is expected to develop and submit monthly reports as per the agreed terms of reference.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN Women’s values and ethical standards
- Proven experience as a gender advisor to high level public officials/institutions.
- Extensive knowledge of regional and national gender standards and experience in best practices in promoting women’s rights
- Solid knowledge of legal and parliamentary roles and functions
- Excellent interpersonal, intercultural and networking with a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships
- Extensive knowledge and ability to work in the context of the National Assembly including its rules of procedure and Code of Conduct
- Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
- Demonstrates interpersonal and diplomatic skills, as well as the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders and to present ideas clearly and effectively
- Strong analytical and drafting skills
- Excellent networking, communication and advocacy skills in both Swahili and in English
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools
- Strong culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Be strong team player with effective interpersonal skills
- Energetic, positive and constructive attitude
- Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication
Required Skills and Experience
A. Academic Qualifications:
Master’s degree in communications and public relations, Social Sciences, Gender/Women’s Studies, Political Science or any other relevant field
At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in the field of gender equality, women’s rights, advocacy, communications and media;
At least 5 years of proven experience in organizing, facilitating and conducting seminars, trainings and round tables with state institutions/agencies/organizations, on gender related issues for members of parliament;
Proven experience of social mobilization and advocacy campaign development and implementation;
Demonstrated capacity to design and implement a multimedia and face-to-face campaign;
Good analytical and communication skills, including presentation and facilitation skills with a high level of proficiency in both written and oral English;
Excellent domain of Swahili is required.
Submission of application & criteria for selection
Interested national consultant need to submit the following documentation in support of their application:
- One cover letter: Explaining why the candidate is the most suitable for the work;
- Proposed approach and envisioned work plan;
- UN Women Personal History Form (P11), which can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment ;
Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document;
The travel costs will be as per UN Standard Regulations.