UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women maintains a large presence throughout Europe and Central Asia region, covering 14 countries, with programme presence in Kosovo (under UN Security Council Resolution 1244), Serbia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey and Ukraine; country offices in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan and Moldova; and remaining countries are covered through a multi-country office in Almaty that covers Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
The UN Women Turkey Programme Office from an early stage involved in programming with Turkish Grand National Assembly and is implementing ‘“Gender Equality in Political Leadership and Participation in Turkey” project in partnership with TGNA, Equal Opprtunities Commision and Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) and the Committee on Equal Opportunity for Women and Men of the TGNA.The project aims to support women’s political leadership and participation by focusing on the Parliament as a model institution that is uniquely placed to drive change and lead by example. UN Women is working in the area of Gender-Responsive Budgeting (GRB) across the region as well as in Turkey with the aim to strengthen the capacity of local administrations and civil society organizations in analysing, preparing and monitoring local budgets with a gender perspective. From 2012 to 2015, UN Women implemented the GRB component of the UN Joint Programme on Promoting the Human Rights of Women in 11 pilot provinces in Turkey. UN Women is in the stage of planning for the next phase of GRB.
UN Women Turkey Programme Office is working to strengthen refugee women and girls and their access to opportunities, rights and services, as required by international treaties and national legislation. UN Women has launched an assessment in six cities to determine the needs of refugee women and girls, their challenges in accessing services and the areas that need improvement. UN Women, as part of refugee response programming, will implement the “Gaziantep Women-only Centre: Providing Livelihood Support” project and establish a women-only center in Gaziantep to enhance the economic and social integration of women and girl refugees in their new communities. UN Women is planning to expand its programming for refugee women and girls across different areas of Turkey.
UN Women has focused on the local implementation of Global Normative standards (CEDAW, Beijing +20, Istanbul Convention) & technical support to government to embed these principles in their service delivery in practice. The UN Women Turkey Office is also part of a regional programme on ending violence against women in the Western Balkans and Turkey, “Implementing Norms, Changing Minds” started in 2017.
Within this context, UN Women is recruiting a Programme Assistant who will support the Country Programme Manager in the daily implementation and management of the programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to Country Programme Manager, the Programme Assistant provides support to the in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the UN Women ECARO team and provides administrative, logistical and programme assistance for the smooth programme implementation.
1. Support implementation of operational strategies
- Support full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the Programme Office administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to the preparation and implementation of administrative team results-oriented work plans.
2. Provision of administrative and logistical support
- Support the office team in the organization of events, workshops, trainings. In particular: prepare invitation letters, prepare list of invitees, contact participants, ensure collection of all relevant documentation related to travel of participants, prepare all background materials for meetings and events including folders and other materials as needed;
- Assist with the collection of offers for selection of venues, services etc., in line with UN Women procurement rules. Provide support related to the logistics and organisation of travel: draft travel mission plans, travel authorizations and logistical information and sending them for pre-approval. Ensures Travel Claims are properly filled and original documents kept on file;
- Assist with obtaining security clearances for programme staff;
- Draft and compile the requested documents for Micro-purchasing and issuing Request for quotes (RfQ) and Request for Proposals (RfP) and support their evaluation, prepare requests for contract award;
- Support recruitment of short-term consultants in accordance with recruiting rules and regulations, including support evaluation, prepare requests for contract award;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects;
- Receive invoices for procurement of goods and services and submit them to the Regional Office in Istanbul for payments in a timely manner. Ensure that correct information on vendors is provided to the Regional Office.
- Draft and create payment requests for pre-approval. Ensure all original financial records are kept on file, including both vendor and partner contracts and documentation;
- Keep and update annual leave and absence monitoring records;
- Support with filing system in the office and ensure documentation as per UN Women rules and guidelines;
- Provides general advice and information on UN rules and regulations relating to the Programme and Operations Manual (POM) ensuring that all activities are in compliance.
3. Support to programme implementation
- Provide administrative support in day to day implementation of projects, including in the preparation of work plans, budgets, and proposals on implementation arrangements, including tracking the delivery of funds;
- Assist in setting and implementing reporting arrangements to ensure that the reporting requirements are met in a timely manner (these will include reports from implementing partners)
- Assist in the preparation in managing programme budgets and monitoring expenditures against established allocations;
- Participate in meetings, training sessions, conferences and public promotion of projects;
- Participate in external and internal meetings, including staff meetings, and prepare reports/minutes;
- Drafts routine correspondence and translates as necessary;
- Provide assistance with English – Turkish translation, as needed.
4. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Participate in trainings for the operations/projects staff;
- Provide support to the synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices.
Perform any other duties in line with the above responsibilities as may be assigned by the management of the Turkey Program Presence
IMPACT OF RESULTS:
The key results have an impact on the overall UN Women Turkey Programme Office efficiency in programme and success in implementation of Strategic Note. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UN Women position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Proven track record of procurement related work (preparation of all documentation for hiring short-term consultants, contract with companies/think-thank/research organizations;
- Experience with organization of workshops, conferences and carry out of all logistics.
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work possible under time constraints;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Ability to support a team and team building skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education, preferably with specialized certification in Business or Public Administration with at least 5 years of relevant experience is required; or
- Bachelor‘s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Programme/Project Management, International Development, Human Rights or in the field of social sciences or other relevant field with at least 2 years of relevant experience is an asset
- With High School Certificate 5 years of experience or with Bachelor’s Degree 2 years of experience is required in administrative and financial work, project management support or related experience in development field;
- Experience in supporting complex projects/processes that include extensive communication, coordination and facilitation;
- Experience in organizing events and trainings;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Substantive knowledge of and experience on gender equality and women's empowerment will be considered an advantage;
- Knowledge in the concept and application of Results-Based Management (RBM) to programme/project cycle will represent an asset;
- Experience in the UN system and agencies, international and development assistance organizations is an asset.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Turkey, including sign language would be an asset.