Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In this context, UN Women Ethiopia Country Office (ECO) is seeking to hire a Receptionist to support the Office. While the position is based in Addis Ababa, the role encompasses to provide telephone communication and general reception and information services ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Receptionist promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager, the Receptionist works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations Teams staff and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures effective reception
- Ensure the provision of front-desk service and telephone communication services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of all visitors to the office; assistance to visitors by providing directions and accurate information related to UN Women.
- Operation and management of the telephone switchboard in accordance with appropriate protocol.
- Weekly check and test of all lines
- Maintenance of recording information in the system, solution of minor technical problems, and reporting to telephone service provider for regular maintenance and repair.
- Management and planning of the front desk coverage.
- Assistance in the preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the administrative services provided by UN Women to other agencies if requested.
2. Ensure information sharing
- . Ensure the most updated UN staff and other contacts information, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection and update of UN staff information monthly, ensuring all data and information is correct and accurate.
- Update of the UN House telephone list and UN Directory, Addresses of the Government, International Organizations, Embassies, and NGOs and other important contacts.
3. Knowledge building
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Planning, organizing and multi -tasking
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education
- 2 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.