Re-advertisement: Operations Manager - Amman, JORDAN
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the direct supervision of the Representative the Operations Manager in the Jordan Country Office (CO) serves as a member of the senior management team, with oversight responsibilities for all aspects of the Jordan CO operations, this includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, security management, ICT and common services consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Operations Manager additionally serves as a key advisor to the Country Representative on matters of organizational integrity with the aim of ensuring: (i) compliance with UN Women policies and regulations; (ii) effective systems to support programme delivery and growth; (iii) accountability to organizational values and principles; and (iv) an enabling workplace environment in which staff potential is maximized.
The Operations Manager leads and guides the Country Office Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other UN Agencies and a client-oriented approach. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme teams in the Office, providing close guidance to programme staff who perform adjunct operations functions, ensuring that such staff are knowledgeable of rules and procedures governing programme finances, donor reporting, and personnel. She/he also works in collaboration with operations staff in other UN Agencies, UN Women Regional Office and HQ staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the operations in the Jordan Country Office
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management team and provide advice and support to the Country Representative and senior programme staff on operational issues;
- Develop the annual workplan for the Operations Team and oversee its implementation and monitoring;
- Participate in review meetings and assess the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners in collaboration with the programme and technical team;
- Manage business process mapping and establish internal standard operating procedures in all areas of the Operations Team’s functions;
- Manage the implementation of corporate, budget, financial, procurement, and HR policies and systems and ensure adequate training of staff and project personnel on these issues;
- Ensure a continuous and up-to-date flow of information between the CO and RO and HQ;
- Oversee all operations activities, including finance, human resources, procurement, transport, IT, security, administration and ensure they follow UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Manage staff in Operations Team: Finalize performance plans and evaluation standards; conduct performance assessments, provide feedback and coaching.
Oversee planning, expenditure tracking and auditing of financial resources
- Ensure strategic and efficient management of office and programme financial resources;
- Exercise proper financial controls;
- Report locally and to HQ on established structures; seek advice from RO when deviations may be necessary;
- Review and take corrective action as appropriate on audit findings;
- Perform Manager Level 2 role in ATLAS for voucher and PO approvals;
- Ensure the CO compliance with Internal Control Framework, Delegation of Authority and segregation of duties and responsibilities.
Oversee/Provide Human Resources services to the Jordan Country Office
- Oversee recruitment processes; liaise with the RO/HQ and service providers as necessary;
- Oversee contracts; advise on appropriate contract modalities.
Oversee procurement processes
- Manage the provision of goods and services for the CO and projects following established corporate procedures regarding sub-contract review and awarding of contracts, evaluate for cost effectiveness and manage the negotiations in connection with eventual agreements;
- Manage the preparation of procurement plans in the CO;
- Participate/chair in local PRCs;
- Manage CO assets and liabilities and ensure proper inventory control.
Oversee information and communications technology (ICT) management
- Oversee the implementation of ICT systems;
- Ensure staff have access to ATLAS functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Mange maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
Ensure safety and security of staff
- Supervise the focal point for safety and security issues
- Brief supervisor and staff on security matters and disseminate relevant information as advised by UNDSS, brief UN Women visitors on security;
- Ensure full compliance with MOSS and MORSS procedures on security of staff and office premises;
- Ensure that personnel request appropriate security clearance for travel;
- Liaise with HQ-based Security Advisor or his/her designated staff member on all security matters;
- Develop and maintain Business Continuity Plan.
Participate in inter-agency activities
- Represent UN Women in inter-agency meetings and working groups on operations issues to ensure UN Women’s interests are reflected in common system activities related to common services and premises, cost recovery and cost sharing arrangements, privileges and immunities, entitlements and salary surveys, security etc.
Contribute to knowledge sharing between the Country Office and RO
Ensure knowledge is shared and adequately applied between the COs/MCOs and RO in the region.
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Strong knowledge of operation, finance, procurement, human resources, ICT, and security systems and processes, particularly in the UN system is an asset;
- Ability to provide advice and develop solutions to varying problems;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to lead a team;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Good negotiating skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, HR, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level, in office management, operations or finance
- Experience in leading a team
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable.
- Professional background in programming/ projects management is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic are required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset