(RE-ADVERTISEMENT) Communications and Media Specialist (Open to Fijian Nationals ONLY)
Suva (Fiji )
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Women Representative, and in close collaboration with communication officers in programme teams, the Communications and Media Specialist in the Multi Country Office (MCO) provides strategic communications advice and manages and facilitates the implementation of the corporate communications strategy and other UN Women media, social media and communications guidelines and protocols. He/She manages the coordination of communications and advocacy activity with a view to influencing the development agenda, to promoting public and media outreach, and to mobilizing political and financial support for UN Women.
The Communications and Media Specialist supervises and leads the MCO communications activities, in particular, supporting programme staff when it comes to raising the profile of UN Women programme activities and the understanding of the issues they cover. He/She is to ensure the successful implementation of the MCO communication strategy by working in close collaboration with the MCO Programme and Operations teams, UN Women’s communications staff at the Regional Office for Asia Pacific in Bangkok and global HQ, including staff of other UN Agencies, as well as with stakeholders and external communications counterparts i.e. government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
A communications strategy tightly linked to programme priorities helps position the UN Women MCO as a thought leader in the area of gender equality and empowerment of women, in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business partnership opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach;
- Development and dissemination of publications and advocacy materials in accordance with UN Women guidelines.;
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UN Women web site, intranet, MCO web-based knowledge management system;
- Support to business development focusing on achievement of launches and campaigns, outreach and media activity, and public information;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for MCO, in particular, for MCO programmes and projects across the region including close cooperation with, and support for, programme-specific communications staff members;
- Ensure the message and activities are consistent with MCO Communications Strategy;
- Elaboration of the MCO Communications Strategy based on the corporate strategic objectives of UN Women and the Fiji MCO;
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in programme formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UN Women’s development programme.
Ensures development and dissemination of publications and advocacy materials in accordance with UN Women guidelines focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provide coordinated assistance for all MCO publication activities across the region including close cooperation with, and support for, programme-specific communications staff members.
- Provide support and advice for content management, norms for publishing, liaison with designers, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and, subsequently, supervision of publications’ dissemination.
- Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
Supervises the design and maintenance of the UN Women website, intranet, MCO web-based knowledge management systems focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supervise and assist with updates and ongoing maintenance of the office webpages on the UN Women Asia and the Pacific website based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the Regional Office (RO) of Asia-Pacific;
- Supervision and preparation of the content for the website ensuring consistency of the materials;
- Support the management and maintenance of the UN Women in the Pacific social media presence and other online channels, including identifying and posting material where required, in coordination with communication officers in programme teams.
Supports business development in close collaboration with, and support for, programme-specific communications staff members, through focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and Campaigns:
- Create and promote campaigns to local and regional media that position UN Women and influences the development agenda based on current programmes and new initiatives;
- Project manage the development, promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications;
- Create, promote and maintain public information campaigs on UN Women activities, progress on SDGs (especially SDG 5), Beijing Platform for Action, etc. in association with other staff from within the Programme / Operations Unit across the region.
Outreach and Media Activity:
- Promote activities to position UN Women as a leader within the gender equality and development spaces;
- Increase coverage and understanding of the UN Women’s work in the Pacific region through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors;
- Format, package and submit documentation about programme initiatives for donor review in close collaboration with programme staff;
- Develop and maintain close contacts with communications counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy, organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.;
- Provide communications advice and support, where required, this will include supporting programme staff in their relationships with above-mentioned organizations;
- Forge the “one UN” image through active participation in the UN Communications Partnership Group, publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, and common services.
- Support the organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (16 days Activism, UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.), taking the lead where appropriate;
- Ensure access for journalists to subject matter experts;
- Coordinate regular newsletter to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support programme work;
- Measure outreach effectiveness through regular monitoring of media coverage, adapting strategies where appropriate and sharing results with staff, donors and key partners.
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials;
- Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues;
- Advocacy and promotion of UN Women mandate, mission and purpose.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information;
- Provide advice, support and inputs to UN Women communications corporate documents;
- Submit contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Organize or provide communications training, consultancy and advice to UN Women staff.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UN Women as UN’s global development network. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UN Women communications strategy, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets. Communications becomes a strong component of business development in the MCO.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies:
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritising audiences and communication means;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
Identifying and building partnerships:
- Sensitises UN Partners, donors and other international organisations to the UN Women’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts;
- Promotes UN Women’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Developing tools and mechanisms:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter:
- Understands more advanced aspects of the primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the Unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UN Women’s Capacity to Advocate:
Developing promotional projects and organizational messages:
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility;
- Develops messages for use by UN Women staff when working with partners, internationally and nationally;
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of messages.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UN Women’s Goals:
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies:
- Creates effective global advocacy messages/strategies;
- Contributes to the elaboration of a global advocacy strategy by identifying and prioritizing audiences and messages.
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
Developing innovative and creative approaches:
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes.
Contributing to positive outcomes for the client:
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organisational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UN Women & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organisation and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters’ Degree in media relations, journalism, publishing or related field.
- Bachelors’ Degree media relations, journalism, publishing or related field.
- Masters’ Degree or Higher + years of experience requirement: A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Bachelors’ Degree + years of experience requirement: A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organisation is helpful but not mandatory.
- Strong asset but not mandatory is experience in the usage of office software packages including InDesign and Photoshop, and a good knowledge and experience in the handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.