UN Women: Administrative Assistant (Open for Nepali nationals only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant supports the Office Operations by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the program and projects staff and the Operations team to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UN-Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies related to finance, procurement, asset management and office management;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes, logistics, office management and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented work plans of operation team.
2. Provide accounting and administrative support to the Program and operation Units focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of PO and non-PO vouchers for timely payment to the concerned;
- Ensure that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded. Process DSA, travel claims and other entitlements;
- Assist Project Managers to prepare periodic financial reports;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas, register of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and payment vouchers;
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions;
- Support to organization on micro-canvassing, physical and online shopping;
- Provision of monitoring of procurement plans and support to organization of procurement processes;
- Assist to prepare minutes of the meetings whenever required.
3. Ensures effective administrative, logistical and asset management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Maintain records on assets management and prepare required reports including tagging, facilitation for physical verification, equipment loaned to NCO personnel, disposal and auction, hand-over of asset to partners;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Extraction of data from various sources, retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports related to finance, procurement, supplies, travel records, assets etc.;
- Follow up on deadlines with internal and external clients, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to supervisor.
4. Provide support to office and equipment maintenance, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supervise, coach and mobilize the Office Maintenance Assistants to discharge their duties effectively;
- Maintenance of records on equipment, preparation of reports;
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance;
- Provision of support to maintenance of premises.
5. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Assist to share knowledge to NCO personnel on finance, procurement, administrative SOPs.
6. Assist the Supervisor to accomplish any other operational responsibilities focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Review and update of operational guidelines as and when required;
- Undertake any responsibilities to support office-wide in administrative, finance, logistics and secretarial matters as and when required and assigned by the supervisor;
- Take over the responsibilities of other operations colleagues in their absence;
- Contribute to internal change management process and plans; represent UN inter-agency task forces to support harmonization and improvement in efficiency.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Adherence to UN Women rules and regulations;
- Quality support to conferences and events;
- Quality organization of files and reports;
- Timely support to all team members.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Good IT and web based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Certification in administration desirable.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in administration or program support services;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in handling of web based management systems including ATLAS will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali is required.
UN Women is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous group, LGBTI and persons with disability are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with strictest confidence.
Note: In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.