Health and Nutrition Officer, (NO-A) Temporary Appointment (364 days), Ruweishid, Jordan (Open to Jordanian Nationals Only)
UNICEF Jordan is looking for a suitable candidate for a position of Health and Nutrition Officer, to be based in Ruweishid so as to oversee the implementation of Health and Nutrition projects.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfil their potential â€“ to the benefit of a better world. For every child.
Purpose of the Job:
Since early 2016, UNICEF has been providing Health and Nutrition interventions the Syrian refugees stranded in the no manâ€™s land between Syria and Jordan on the North Eastern Jordanian border with Syria, commonly referred as the Berm and from December 2016 UNICEF in coordination with other UN agencies is supporting a Health Centre in Rukban running. The services delivery are guided by a mutually agreed SOP so as to ensure essential health and nutrition services coverages and minimizing duplication. UNICEF implements this project through an implementing partner. To effectively implement this project UNICEF Jordan is looking for a suitable candidate for a position of Health and Nutrition Officer, to be based in Ruweishid so as to oversee the implementation of this project. The selected candidate will also be responsible to liaise with the Director of Ruweishid hospital in implementing other health and nutrition interventions targeting vulnerable communities in Ruweishid district including the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI).
How can you make a difference?
- Provide Technical assistance to the implementation of integrated Health & Nutrition project at the North Eastern Border using appropriate approaches and through participation and collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Provides technical inputs in the integration of the Health & Nutrition programme with other sectors in collaboration with other UNICEF sectors, particularly Health and Nutrition, WASH, Humanitarian section and programme communication.
- Contributes to build on inter-sectoral experience and establish partnerships to promote innovative approaches to address immediate and underlying determinants of maternal, newborn and child health and nutrition.
- Contribute in the design/redesigning, planning, monitoring and evaluation of the Health & Nutrition programme to be implemented in the Jordanian North Eastern Border, and/or Ruweishid districts in accordance to the identified needs.
- Supports the programme delivery with emphasis on contributing to continuous improvement of the implementing partnerâ€™s capacity to deliver the planned interventions based on agreement with other actors including JAF/BGF and MI.
- Provide accurate information about the Berm project, data analysis, and documentation to contribute to situation analysis, sectoral input and reporting.
- Assists the preparation and periodic update of the Situation Analysis by compiling Health & Nutrition data, analyzing and evaluating relevant information and providing the technical input in a timely and accurate manner.
- Draft sections, prepares statistical data reports, and assists with preparation of sectoral input to the programme documents as required and contributes to the consultation and coordination with other key partners at field (Ruweishid) level.
- Contribute in the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for administration, implementation and monitoring of sectoral project activities.
- Analyse data and information, and drafts progress reports, drafts changes in project work plans, as required and monitors to ensure objectives and targets are timely met and achieved, through effective coordination and collaboration.
- Assists in Identifying training needs and contribute in the planning and organizing training activities to upgrade the capacity of the implementing partner as well as government as the case may be to ensure effective delivery of the assigned project.
- Provides timely implementation follow-up, including monitoring of UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of medical and non-medical supply and implementing partnersâ€™ human resources assistance.
- Assists in identification and selection of essential Health and Nutrition supplies and equipment and ensures that activities are in accordance with plans and keep records on utilization of resources and distribution of supplies.
- Monitor the North Eastern border Health and Nutrition project implementation progress and propose adjustments and improvement including the possibility of additional interventions such as routine immunization, 24/7 stabilization services in coordination with the Head of field office, Amman based Health team and Amman based humanitarian team.
- Perform field visits to UNICEF supported project sites (currently only Rukban) for monitoring project activities and local conditions, and follows up with other Rukban UN clinic stake holders, local authorities counterparts and other partners on project implementation.
- Coordinating with Operations and Supply staff and the members of the Health and Nutrition team based in Amman and the Amman based humanitarian team on supply and non-supply assistance activities, ensures UNICEF and the implementing partners accountability.
- Ensures effective partnership with other UN clinic stakeholders and acceptable working relationships are maintained for technical coordination, information sharing and advocacy for continued and timely beneficiariesâ€™ access to the service area.
- Continue monitoring the presence and effectiveness of the community health resources available in the camp/No manâ€™s land (e.g. CHVs) and explore better and feasible ways of improving their capacity and working with them to further maximize the reach to the targeted beneficiaries.
- Keeps close contacts with external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate relevant data, exchange information on programme/project development and implementation.
- Assists the implementing partner to ensure that monitoring systems are properly adhered to, and that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and timely shared with Amman health and Nutrition and humanitarian colleagues for project performance monitoring.
- Contribute in the drafting and preparation of programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, and annual reports, as required.
- Contribute in the development and updating of emergency preparedness and response plans related to Health and Nutrition and ensure updated and are maintained and they complement other sectors plans to ensure efficiency, and during emergencies, ensure that Health and Nutrition part of the plans are effectively implemented in accordance to UNICEF mandate.
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as appropriate to the purpose of this post, and delivers the results as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: A Medical University degree in Medicine, Nursing, or Public Health/Nutrition is required. A degree in Pharmacy, Child Development, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines may be considered if accompanied with relevant experience;
Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience in planning, implementation monitoring and evaluation of health programmes/projects in humanitarian or post-conflict settings.
Professional work experience in a programme management function or a technical expert capacity in child survival & health care.
Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
Languages: Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: NO-A, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-11-26