Programme Specialist - Leadership and Governance
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and formulate programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to the program area
- Finalize the annual workplan of the program and budget and manage its implementation;
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/project; ensure synergies with other teams;
- Manage the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators;
- Organize Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings, as needed.
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Leadership and Governance programme; respond to any potential problems;
- Identify capacity building needs of partners and lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives to partners.
- Manage the monitoring of programme/ project implementation and finances using results based management tools;
- Oversee field missions and review reports on monitoring missions;
- Write quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes;
- Contribute to office donor and UN Women reports.
- Manage the programme budget and draft financial reports;
- Supervise Programme Analysts and Technical Specialists;
- Mentor and coach staff and conduct performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
- Provide technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts.
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to the Leadership and Governance;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related Leadership and Governance area as necessary;
- Develop advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Develop knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies on Leadership and Governance.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example;
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Strong knowledge of Thematic Area ;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Technical experience in Leadership and Governance;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;
- Experience in Resource Mobilization is an asset.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.