GBV Coordinator (National Position), Kirkuk Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the GBV Coordinator position is to manage and implement delegated portfolio of GBV projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality. The GBV Coordinator will be reporting to GBV Project Manager. The position will be based in Kirkuk with frequent visits to NRC field operations.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate with at least (3) three years of experience in relevant field and from working in a protection project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context. Ideally the candidate should be able to use MS Word, Excel and Knowledge of Microsoft Project and AutoCAD is a plus. S/he should be fluent in written and spoken Arabic and English is required.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- In close cooperation with the members of the GBV Team, develop steps and procedures for timely planning and implementation of all elements in the GBV programme, in particular all training, GBV response, prevention, and coordination activities
- Provide capacity-building and technical support to GBV officers and assistants
- Ensure that GBV activities are in accordance with minimum international standards
- Monitor, evaluate and suggest changes and improvements in the project and materials based on observations and discussions with the GBV project staff and the PM
- Develop resources to enhance NRC’s GBV project in collaboration with the GBV PM
- Prepare and monitor budgets, spending plans, monthly reports, donor reports
- Assess the suggested area of operation regarding women and girls’ safe access to shelter, WASH facilities, other service points, and resources
- Communicate with and facilitate necessary agreements and understanding from local authorities in line with the NRC protocol for communication
- Participate in GBV coordination forums as agreed with the PM and communicate, exchange information and co-operate with relevant GBV actors
- Work closely with Protection Sector partners in Ministries, UN agencies, Institutions and Non-Governmental Organizations in collaboration with the GBV PM
- Significant understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable work plans and to evaluate progress.
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation and leadership skills
- Proven skills and experience in report writing and budget management
The post will be for three (10) ten months contract duration with possibility of extension- subject to funds.
Salary: 7/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary scale.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Duty Station: Kirkuk with frequent visits to NRC's field offices.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
For more information, please find attached the job description.