Special Projects Consultant, HeForShe Initiative
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Created by UN Women, the HeForShe solidarity movement for gender equality provides a systematic approach and targeted platform on which men and boys can engage and become change agents towards the achievement of gender equality. HeForShe invites men and boys to build on the work of the women’s movement as equal partners, crafting and implementing a shared vision of gender equality that will benefit all of humanity. For more information, visit http://www.heforshe.org/en
In this context, HeForShe is looking for a creative and dynamic individual to work directly under the supervision of the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director, in support of special projects (e.g. Arts Week 2018), ranging from managing celebrity relations to development of innovative fundraising strategies. The selected candidate must have a can-do attitude and be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and implement the HeForShe initiative stakeholder engagement strategy for Arts Week 2018
- In collaboration with the HeForShe team map out stakeholders across the portfolio and prepare appropriate outreach materials
- Manage databases of sponsors and supporters to maintain and improve stakeholder satisfaction levels
2. Support the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director
- Prepare briefing notes on strategic partners and potential donors;
- Develop concept notes for new projects and programmes under the initiatives with the audience in mind
- Support with celebrity and VIP outreach efforts with respect to drafting briefing notes and providing logistic support as needed
3. Assist with planning for HeForShe events
- HeForShe has a number of flagship events - including HeForShe Arts Week (March 8th – 15th) and annual IMPACT 10x10x10 report launches - that take place throughout the year and require months of preparation to reach the right audience with the right message
4. Build partnerships and provide support in developing resource mobilization strategies tied to Arts Week 2018
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication in collaboration with UN Women’s network of country offices and National Committees for events taking place throughout 2018
5. Facilitate knowledge building
- Share lessons learned and best practices with colleagues, ensure dissemination (through the development of toolkits or similar) of information within the team an in the organization
6. Provide other support to the supervisor as requested
1. Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
2. Core Competencies:
- Held colleagues and team members accountable for planned goals and competency standards;
- Practiced giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Proactively informed clients, preventing loss of time and errors;
- Responded to questions, resolved problems, and helped provide accurate information to clients;
- Identified, understood, and addressed client needs.
Commitment to Learning:
- Learned about agency, its processes, structure, challenges, and environment;
- Contributed to knowledge sharing.
- Produced communication products (written and oral);
- Interpreted key messages for and from clients with cultural sensitivity.
Planning and Organizing:
- Developed work plans;
- Implemented activities in a timely manner, met deadlines.
- Coordinated work and roles with other team members;
- Supported goals of the team;
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
3. Functional Competencies:
- Excellent research, writing and organizational skills, attention to detail is critical;
- Ability to adapt and work within a multicultural, multilingual, multidisciplinary environment;
- Willingness to work in an “all hands on deck” environment, and engage in a variety of tasks;
- Knowledge of how students and universities are addressing global challenges, an asset;
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in business administration, human rights, international relations, politics, gender or another similar subject at the university level is required. A postgraduate degree is an asset but not required
- Experience in a facilitation, coordination or similar role is preferred
- Experience in outreach programme and donor relations
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Fluency in oral and demonstrably superior writing skills in English is required
- Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.