New York City (United States of America)
The Web Editor position is located in the Media and Communications Branch of the Division for Communications and Strategic Partnerships and reports directly to the Online Communications Manager. The Web Editor works in close cooperation with the Resource Mobilization and the Strategic Partnerships Branch.
The Web Editor will be responsible for conceptualizing, developing, writing, editing and acquiring written and visual content for a new, UNFPA-led website dealing with the impact of donor contributions to programmes that are run jointly by UNFPA and other United Nations entities. The Web Editor’s role is also to ensure content is accurate, compelling, timely and consistent with UN and UNFPA style.
This web editor will work closely with the web editor of unfpa.org as well as the other web editors of UN entities receiving the relevant funds to source and develop human interest stories and other content that are the direct or indirect result of joint programmes financed by UNFPA as an administrative agent.
This includes ensuring that the content on the new online portal is:
● Suited to provide visibility to donor countries’ support for joint-UNFPA programmes dealing with issues such as female genital mutilation, sexual and reproductive health and rights, as well as gender equality.
● Accurate and timely, with close attention paid to correctness and clarity of visualized data.
● Conforms to journalistic standards and UN and UNFPA style and branding.
● Is in line with the overall editorial direction of UNFPA.org.
Major Activities/Expected Results
1. Content Development
● Works with experts and focal points in relevant branches and UNFPA and other UN offices worldwide to develop and regularly update content for UNFPA’s administrative agent portal.
● Provides overall editorial direction for the portal; edits, organizes and structures content while maintaining a consistent voice and style; revises material based on feedback from UNFPA branches;
● Ensures accuracy, timeliness and clarity of all data appearing on this website, including financial data and results metrics
● Conceptualizes, writes and collaborates on the production of multimedia resources.
● Collaborates with the Online Portal Officer on the structure and creative direction of new portal
● Works closely with UNFPA communications focal points in the field to source human interest stories.
● Encourages news stories from the field that are conducive to resource mobilization and feature results enabled by joint programmes administered by UNFPA as administrative agent.
Building Support for UNFPA’s programmes
● Conceives of innovative ways to tell stories that provide visibility for UNFPA, the donors supporting joint-UNFPA programmes, and the impact of these programmes on women and young people in developing countries.
● Responds quickly to major events that could generate traffic to the web site and build interest, visibility and support for the work of programmes financed by UNFPA as administrative agent.
● Carries out any duties assigned by the Online Communications manager or the Chief of the Media and Communications Branch.
● Commitment to UN/UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles;
● Developing People/fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
● Teamwork/Communication/Self-Management/Emotional Intelligence; and
● Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision-Making.
● Ability to produce (write or edit) fresh, accurate, jargon-free and reader friendly copy on deadline
● Creating visibility for the organization
● Global leadership and advocacy for the goals of the International Conference
● On Population and Development
● Organizational awareness
● Job Knowledge/Technical expertise
● Advanced university degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Communications or related field;
● 5 years of relevant professional experience in news reporting, journalistic writing, editing, publications and communications, out of which at least three years should be at international level;
● Expertise in website publishing, with understanding of modern communications principles;
● Knowledge of international development issues is required;
● Fluency in English with excellent drafting abilities and editorial skills required; knowledge of another UN language (French or Spanish) is an asset.
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Web Editor' in the subject and attach a CV, motivation statement or cover letter, and one writing sample.