EVAW Project Assistant
Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Violence against women and girls and domestic violence are widespread social problems in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), constituting serious violations of fundamental human rights. This type of violence is still seen and tolerated as “socially acceptable behaviour” and is justified by the prevailing socially accepted gender norms on the role and status of women in the family and in society. Results of the first countrywide Survey on Prevalence and Characteristics of Violence against Women (2013) indicated that almost half of women older than fifteen have been subjected to one or more forms of violence at least once in their lifetime. This research confirmed that women in BiH are exposed to a high risk of experiencing violence, primarily through their immediate, intimate relationships with partners and family, and secondarily in their broader community. Women who suffer multiple forms of discrimination such as women with disabilities, Roma women and rural women are at greater risk of experiencing such violence.
“Standards and Engagement for Ending Violence against Women and Domestic Violence in Bosnia and Herzegovina”, is a three-year programme (2016-2019) developed by the UN Women Country Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina and financially supported by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The programme aims to strengthen the institutional and social response mechanisms to violence against women (VAW) and domestic violence (DV) in BiH by contributing to the implementation of the Istanbul Convention. Furthermore, the activities of the programme build upon the initiatives identified in the entity strategies on combating violence against women and domestic violence and present a comprehensive, transformative approach towards gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The programme builds on the previous work of UN Women and other UN agencies in BiH at the policy level as well as the support provided to improve services for survivors and to prevent violence against women and girls since 2008. The activities are being implemented by governmental and civil society partners in several locations: municipalities of Central Bosnia Canton and Canton 10, Bijeljina, Bratunac, Brcko District, East Sarajevo, Foca, Lopare, Milici, Rogatica, Srebrenica, Visegrad, Vlasenica and Zvornik. The programme has two main components that are focusing on protection of survivors and prevention of gender-based violence.
Under the direct supervision of the EVAW Project Manager and overall supervision of the Programme Specialist, the Project Assistant supports the activities of the “Standards and Engagement for Ending Violence against Women and Domestic Violence in Bosnia and Herzegovina” programme by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Project Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Project Assistant works in close collaboration with the EVAW team and the operations team to ensure consistent service delivery.
Impact of Results
The Assistant’s performance will have an impact on the results of the programme and the implementation of its activities. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information will support proper programme implementation, strengthen the capacity of the team and promote positive results. The efficient performance of this position is crucial for the success of the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support to the implementation of the EVAW activities:
- To support full compliance of programme activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- To support the development of work plans;
- To supports the recruitment processes necessary for the implementation of the project activities;
- To draft routine official correspondence/documents and assists in the preparation of needed documents;
- To provide support to organizing and holding meetings, including the preparation and dissemination of information and follow-up;
- To provide support to implementing partners;
- To establish effective working relations and good communication with institutional counterparts, CSOs and with other partner UN agencies;
- To support the coordination of stakeholders (government and CSO partners) performed by the EVAW Team;
Provision of administrative and logistical support to the EVAW Team:
- To support the organization of procurement processes including preparation of Requests for Quotation, Invitations to Bid or Requests for Proposal documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation;
- To arrange travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- To provide administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- To collect information for Daily Subsistence Allowance, travel agencies and other administrative support for the organization of common services;
- To maintain the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- To assist in the preparation of budget and provision of information for audit or programmes evaluations;
- To provide translation and interpretation as required for implementing the programme activities;
- To organizes translation and interpretation services in accordance with business processes;
Support to Business Processes:
- To ensure that business processes followed by the project are in line with the UN Women rules and regulations, policies and internal control framework;
- To create requisitions in Atlas;
- To support the creation and stores project budgets;
- To assist in timely reporting;
- To ensures timely submission of monthly leave reports and attendance record cards;
Support to the knowledge management processes:
- To provide necessary administrative support for effective knowledge management to be shared with the team;
- To participate in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration;
- To contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations, organizational policies and procedures related to the position and ability to apply it consistently in work tasks;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work ;
- Ability to support a team and team building skills;
- Strong IT skills and ability to apply it consistently in work tasks;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Attention to detail;
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Maintains database of project files;
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents;
- Excellent knowledge of office software packages;
- Reports to internal and external partners in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external partners;
- Responds to partner needs promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education;
- University degree will be considered an asset.
- 5 years (if secondary education) or 2 years (if university degree) of relevant administrative or programme/project experience performing the above-mentioned tasks, is required. Experience in the UN system will be considered and asset;
- Experience working with women rights issues is necessary as well as a good understanding of gender based violence and feminism;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, extensive knowledge and experience in usage of web - based management systems. Short listed candidates will be tested in this field;
- Knowledge of UN Enterprise Resource Management Software (ATLAS) will be considered an asset.
- Excellent English and B/S/C language skills, both written and oral and good translation skills; Short listed candidates will be tested in this field.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.