UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women Staff and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide reliable and secure driving services:
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of UN Women Regional Director, UN Women Staff and other high-ranking officials, visitors, UN Women programme and operations staff, and facilitate VIP missions;
- Deliver and collect mail, documents and other items to Government – Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/ UN Offices;
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangements when required;
- Verify that all passengers wear seatbelts at all times in the vehicle;
- Oversee and ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Oversee and ensure that all vehicles comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Proper use of vehicle:
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly;
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs and oversee that other drives do the same;
- Prepare and maintain data of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle:
- Ensure that all official vehicles are kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies:
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed:
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payments of bills, as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time;
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle and necessary documents;
- Timely inputs to logs and records.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Excellent driving skills;
- Strong knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies and local roads and conditions;
- Strong defensive driving skills;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Ability to be on time.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Secondary education;
- Valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.