Planning Officer (WSSCC INTERNAL VACANCY)
Background Information - Job-specific
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) was established in 1990 and mandated by name in United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181.The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and aims to accelerate the achievement of sustainable sanitation, hygiene and water services for all people, with special attention to the unserved poor, by enhancing collaboration and coordination of all sector stakeholders. The WSSCC Secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland. More information on WSSCC can be found on the website at www.wsscc.org.Reporting to the Head, Planning, M&E and Reporting Department, the Planning Officer is responsible for conducting the Council’s multi-year strategic plan exercise, and its review if so decided by the Executive Director, and adapts the annual and bi-annual planning processes through a broadly consultative process throughout the organisation including the Manager of the Finance and Operations cluster. The Planning Office anchors the corporate planning function with the Department, engaging with managers and staff across the Council, developing indicators, adapting procedures and generating reports that facilitate relevant, reliable and efficient corporate planning exercises and results.
- Conducts the annual and bi-annual corporate work planning exercise in close collaboration with managers across the Council.
- Leads the multi-year strategic planning exercise finalizing the report identifying data and reporting gaps and taking remedial action.
- Engages with programme teams to continuously assess relevance of current planning indicators recommending new models and data points based on national, regional and global experience ensuring planning activities remain relevant.
- Prepares final corporate work plans, as well as those for the Department.
- Develops tools, data and indicators and provides technical support and training to units across the organisation enabling the Council’s transition to results-based budgeting.
- Prepares and gives learning activities for staff and managers on methods, tools and policies that facilitate effective corporate planning ahead of annual exercises.
- Collaborates with managers and staff across the Council, gathering feedback on corporate planning exercise effectiveness making adaptations to process and preparing annual recommendations for Department Manager on policy revisions.
- Develops peer network of work planning experts across similar organizations testing and recommending to management new modalities for the Council.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Master degree in Business Administration, Management, Political Science, International Relations or relevant field is required.
- A bachelor's degree in the above areas with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master's degree.
- Minimum of five years professional experience multi-sectoral planning or business planning or development related fields is required.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Demonstrated understanding of the the key strategic priorities and emerging planning requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality planning documents with excellent writing skills.
- Ability to analyze problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations in planning exercises.
- Ability to allocate appropriate time and resources for completing the work and managing conflicting priorities.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments adjusting priorities where required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: International Specialist Level 2
Contract duration: 1 year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT A COVER LETTER.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-12-03