Computing Engineer (Applications Devices)
Join a dynamic team to take an active role in developing and managing IT services and provisioning applications used by hundreds of CERN's engineers every day. Work at the heart of the application deployment strategy of the largest particle physics lab in the world. CERN, Take part!
Computing Engineer, Applications & Devices in the Information Technology Department, Collaboration, Devices & Applications Group, Applications & Devices Section.
You will join:
The Applications and Devices section which manages server infrastructure of over 800 servers, supports 10,000 devices such as desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones and screens and provides over 100 applications including mechanical engineering tools, mathematics tools, electronic design automation tools, general productivity applications as well as anti-virus, printing and configuration management tools.
As a Computing Engineer in the AD section, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Capture user needs and constraints, and perform functional analyses.
- Manage, maintain and develop the existing application portfolio.
- Design processes, create software tools and deploy management solutions for application management in line with CERN's Application Management Policy.
- Provide user support for applications on, and devices running, Windows, macOS, iOS and Android devices.
- Define a documentation strategy and ensure that appropriate documentation exists throughout the lifecycle of the applications.
You will also contribute to:
- Managing Windows Server Infrastructure.
- Managing security of IT systems.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computer Science, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience in system administration on the Windows platform.
- Experience in web and mobile software development.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Solution architecture: systems installation/decommissioning and system software administration and scripting for Windows server, Windows 10 and macOS.
- Programming/Software development: at least one of the following: C#, VB.Net, Java, Objective-C, Swift.
- Requirements definition and management: usability evaluation and application support; provisioning, packaging, deployment and maintenance of applications according to user requirem.
- Customer relationship management: information content authoring and problem management; system software administration for macOS, iOS, Android and Linux operating systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; providing others with timely information.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English is required; Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.