Emergency Response Manager - South Sudan
NRC is looking for an Emergency Response Manager in South Sudan to provide overall leadership of emergency activities across the country.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Job descriptionThe Emergency Response Manager will:
• Coordinate the development of all project implementation plans and budgets
• Ensure emergency assessments are conducted; and develop implementation and exit strategies.
• Maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian emergency and adjust activities accordingly.
• Ensure adequate monitoring and reporting of emergency activities within the country
• Lead and manage a team of Emergency Response staff; manage their performance and provide regular feedback and mentoring.
• Build and maintain strong working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, host government, bilateral and multilateral donors, and other principle stakeholders
• Support the Country Director and Communications Officer in the development of constructive working relationships with media representatives to build international and public profile and ensure positive media coverage
• Represent NRC in meetings with government officials, cluster members, donor representatives, other NGOs, the UN, etc.
• Liaise with the Security Focal Point to ensure compliance with Security Guidelines in emergency activities
• Coordinate mobilization of financial resources related to emergency activities.
Qualifications• At least five years’ experience working for a reputable international humanitarian and development organization.
• Experience in management of slow onset disasters in a conflict or post conflict environment preferably in the East Africa Region
• Experience in working in multi-country disaster preparedness, response and recovery programming.
• Strong coordination skills in programming, resource management and safety and security
• Proactive and results oriented with the ability to "get things done"
• Strong planning, monitoring and organizational skills with good knowledge of the use of logical and result-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks
• Very strong analytically and excellent proposal and report writing skills, with close attention to details
• Documented experience as a trainer/facilitator on humanitarian issues and staff mentoring
• Experience of working with institutional donors/fundraisers;
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
Personal qualities• Knowledge of South Sudan and East Africa and socio-cultural complexities
• Knowledge of the context and dynamics in South Sudan, with previous work experience in South Sudan an asset
• Demonstrated experience of working in complex operating environments
• Able to cope and manage with minimum recreational and social facilities, shared accommodation, insecure environments
• Holder of a valid and clean international driver’s license
We offer• Contract period: 12 months
• Salary benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
• Duty station: Juba, with 30% travel in South Sudan
• NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Juba
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Response and Recovery)
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2017-12-26