Consultancy: Accelerating integration of Early Childhood Development activities in Nutrition and Health programmes and policies in West and Central Africa Region - UNICEF
The promising experiences at global level with the use of CCD both at global and regional level of Mali and Senegal with the roll out of CCD package are increasing demand for technical support throughout the region. Furthermore, a UNICEF Headquarter led evaluation on the use of CCD package showed the need to improve scalability and identify sustainable training options through national and decentralized entities while ensuring top quality of intervention. Consecutive field assessments done in Mali confirmed the need for more advanced technical support to health and nutrition workforce to increase skills in the integration of high impact and low cost stimulation and nutrition strategies. As of today, health and nutrition workforce trainings are influenced by national nutrition protocols. Majority of those protocols do not pay adequate attention to stimulation practices which result in a strong clinical focus and low attention to caregivers-child interactions. In 2017, UNICEF WCARO initiated the pilot of an enhanced version of CCD to promote workforce capacity building on promoting young child stimulation while also improving communication and support for the caregivers in charge of young children. The pilot is ongoing in Sierra Leone and includes the development of an had hoc module which will be formally joined to CCD after impact evaluation. UNICEF WCARO with support from UNICEF Headquarters is therefore requesting the present consultancy to adapt the new module to the Mali context to reinforce ongoing programming. Additionally, the consultancy will allow to consolidate results in the area of integrated ECD and Nutrition/Health and identify opportunities for scale up at the regional level.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
How can you make a difference?
In order to respond to the new programmatic challenges and to promote operationalization of UNICEF WCAR regional priorities, the present consultancy aims at achieving the following objectives:
- Adapt CCD enhanced module to Mali context for further regional validation
- Conduct desk review of Sierra Leone and Mali health and nutrition policies/strategies to identify successful factors sustaining integration of ECD in the longer term
Methodology and Technical Approach
The methodology proposed include mixed approaches to respond to specific needs of work at the regional level, in particular it includes: desk reviews, in country consultations and technical support. The consultant is expected to submit a detailed technical and financial proposal for the achievement of the objectives and in line with the table proposed below.
Activities, Tasks, Outputs and Deliverables
The below table include tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment (e.g. end products) which should be taken into account when designing the technical and financial proposal:
Tasks and Deliverables
Estimated number of days
Proposed deadline for submission of deliverables
1. Adaptation of CCD enhanced module to Mali context- including preliminary work to respond to CCD evaluation in the country, adaptation of enhanced module , training and mentoring session.
1 mission to Sierra Leone (1st quarter 2018)
3 missions to Mali (1 and 2nd quarter 2018)
1 coordination mission to Dakar (1st quarter 2018)
2. Desk review of Sierra Leone and Mali nutrition protocols/ YCF, health policies guidance to assess quality/consistency of stimulation related module and consideration of caregivers wellbeing (mental health) and training opportunities for the integration of enhanced module,
1st draft 15th May 2018; 2nd and final draft 15th July 2018
Management, Organization and Timeframe
Delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered (e.g. electronic submission, hard copy, what computer program should be used, etc.):
This assignment is expected to take 80 working days. Reports and mission trip reports can be submitted in electronic format.
Supervisor and frequency of performance reviews will be done through Skypes and joint missions. A final evaluation is planned at the end of the assignment. Joint mission will also be conducted.
Deliverables and planned payment schedule
Payment scheduled will be aligned to the calendar of deliverables and will include approximately 30% at signature of contract.
In addition to the fixed consultancy fee, the contract amount will include 42 days of international travel (travel expenses and DSA) for an estimated 7 days mission in each country. The consultant will be responsible for organizing his/her travels arrangements (flight booking, VISA, in country transportation and lodging).
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have…
- Master in Developmental Psychology, Education, Social Sciences or Public Health
- Degree in Education, Health, Developmental psychology, Education statistics or similar
- At least 15 years of experience in the area of ECD and Health, community based approaches, programme management and programme design
- Familiarity with UNICEF CCD Package
- Fluency in both English and French
- Extensive knowledge of West and Central Africa context and culture and relevant field experience
- Familiarity with UN System and UNICEF policy and programme procedures
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Education, Learning and Training
- Public Health and Health Service
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Closing Date: 2017-12-13