East Africa Regional Director
IDinsight designs, deploys and promotes evidence-generating tools that help people improve lives worldwide. We work with governments, non-governmental organizations, foundations, and social businesses across many sectors in Africa and Asia. Overall, we seek to improve millions of lives by transforming how the global social sector innovates, learns and improves.
- Philanthropy learning partnership: Support a philanthropy advisory organization across a range of evaluation, monitoring and consultative workstreams to identify, develop and support cost-effective, evidence-informed charities.
- Sanitation learning partnership: Co-locate with a UN agency and local governments to conduct demand-driven impact evaluations in Kenya and the Philippines to improve sanitation program design and impact.
- Agriculture impact evaluation: Conduct an impact evaluation with an Ethiopia-based agribusiness to measure the impact of supplying improved chicken breeds on small-scale poultry farmer nutrition and income.
- Mixed-methods education research: Shape an NGO’s education intervention in Uganda by conducting semi-structured interviews, classroom observations, and teacher surveys.
About the East Africa Regional Director Position
IDinsight has been operating in East Africa since 2013. Located in Nairobi, the East Africa office supports
21 employees with further growth expected. The East Africa team conducts work across multiple countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia and others) and sectors (i.e., agriculture, health, education, sanitation, access to finance). The East Africa Regional Director (EARD) will define and execute IDinsight’s regional strategy, establish close advisory relationships, and oversee the region’s operations and portfolio of projects. The EARD will be supported by IDinsight’s CEO and Partner team, and will assume responsibility for driving IDinsight’s work and growth in East Africa.
- Strategy: The EARD will be responsible for realizing IDinsight’s sector-transforming vision for the region. As IDinsight’s primary regional representative, the EARD will develop new client engagements and initiatives and refine IDinsight’s multi-country model.
- Relationships: Meaningful, trusting relationships represent the foundation of IDinsight’s model. The EARD will establish him/herself as an expert and trusted advisor to development leaders to increase program effectiveness and shape evidence-based action in the region.
- Teams and operations: The EARD will oversee office operations and Nairobi-based teams. This includes mentoring IDinsight high-performing staff, participating in staffing decisions, managing the office budget, and playing a lead role in hiring for the region.
Portfolio of projects: The EARD will also supervise IDinsight project work in the region, acting as the project director in some (if not all) projects in the region. The EARD will be responsible for providing strategic guidance to project teams and supporting stakeholder management.
Career and skill development is a priority for all IDinsight employees. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows for the role to be tailored to individual passions, goals and preferences. IDinsight is also committed to facilitating work-life flexibility to maximize professional satisfaction and sustainability.
- Deeply passionate about international development and social impact
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD), preferably in public policy, economics, public administration, business or public health
- Interest in using evidence to improve social impact - fluency in impact evaluation a plus
- 10 years of relevant experience, including managerial experience in a developing country (experience in East Africa a plus)
- Proven ability to be an inspiring leader in a dynamic, multicultural environment and experience in coaching colleagues
- Record of driving organizational growth
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – a “people person”
- Direct client management experience
- Willingness to travel as needed and work with remote colleagues
- Strong quantitative and critical thinking skills Self-starter and quick learner who can hit the ground running
- Thrives in small/medium organization setting, and able to adapt to dynamic growth and change
- Excited to work across many international development sectors
- Lifelong learner with keen intellectual curiosity and sense of humor
Dependent on relevant experience and background. Competitive with similar roles. Benefits include travel budget to return home if relevant, retirement plan, generous leave, relocation allowance, comprehensive international health insurance and medical evacuation, and technology stipend.
Flexible start during 1st half of 2018. Two-year commitment required.
Please click on APPLY below and apply online using this application form. You will be asked to submit a cover letter and resume to Cover letter should include an explanation of interest in the EARD role and earliest possible start date. Please direct any questions to careers@IDinsight.org.
IDinsight reviews applications on a regular basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer.
- Organization: IDinsight
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Health and Health Service
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-04-11