ABA ROLI Country Director, MENA
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
Overall field responsibility for in-country programs, including grant-funded programs, implemented overseas; manages international and local staff; identifies program methodologies and develops long-term and short-term strategies and work plans to improve the rule of law in the country of responsibility. Implements, monitors and evaluates in-country programs and activities. Responsible for financial oversight of all programs and for donor relations in-country. In cooperation with headquarters-based program staff, drafts grant proposals and undertakes fundraising in-country. ADD/EDIT AS YOU SEE FIT
- Develops, implements, monitors, evaluates, and enhances program priorities and ensures such programs are aligned with the overall mission, vision, and values of the ABA and ROLI and that they are responsive to local needs.
- Liaises with potential donors, embassies, and private foundations, and identifies new funding opportunities from USG and non-USG donors; drafts proposals responsive to the unique legal and political climate of each country in the portfolio
- Participates or leads the recruiting of workshop faculty and short-and long-term experts and approves all programs developed by this faculty.
- Creates, fosters, nurtures, and expands working relationships with each host government, host country legal leaders, other NGOs, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding ABA and ROLI plan/program objectives.
- Develops realistic monitoring and evaluation plans for each portfolio country and oversees their use as a tool for tracking and communicating program progress and impact, and for adjusting program strategy on the basis of the data.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with ABA and donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations. Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act [FCPA].
- Has financial responsibility in his/her home office (functions as approver of all expenditures and serves as signatory on bank accounts), responsibility for financial controls, and contract/subaward for submission to final signatory. Performs quality oversight of financial management in other offices within his/her portfolio (e.g. where a Deputy Country Director may serve as signatory/approver of financial documents), conducting periodic reviews of expenditures for accuracy and reasonableness
- Maintains currency of the operational, political, and legal environment within the host countries and keeps senior management informed of environmental shifts that might positively/negatively impact operations.
- Creates and recommends operating and capital budget requirements for each country in the portfolio and manages and is accountable for adhering to the ultimately approved budget without degradation of service or mission accountabilities.
- Mentors and trains staff in strategic implementation of programs, overall program management, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting. Ensures all approved targets and components are effectively resourced to optimize attainment of the objectives. Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development, and, where appropriate, applies discipline, to and through assigned employees. Hires and terminates local staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least ten years’ experience in program and/or development activities, one year of which must have been overseas; OR, possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or foreign equivalent and at least seven years’ experience in program and/or development activities, one year of which must have been overseas.
- At least three years’ experience supervising a team which must have included providing performance feedback to direct reports.
- Experience in working with USG funded programs
To apply, please visit: https://www.devex.com/jobs/aba-roli-country-director-general-mena-521307
- Organization: ABA - American Bar Association
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2018-01-30