VN 2017/267 (P) - Information Technology and Communication Officer (P2) - Niamey, Niger
Position Title Information Technology and Communication Officer Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 December 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia
(Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the direct supervision and guidance of the Resources Management Officer (RMO) and in close coordination with other relevant departments, the successful candidate will provide all the necessary information technology and communication (ITC) support to the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and coordinate the activities of the Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Unit for the mission, ensuring that all requests are addressed timely and accurately, with an efficient allocation of resources.
2. Secure the implementation of standard IOM ITC policies and guidelines, in particular with regards to network systems, IT security, software licensing, telecoms and ITC procurement. 3. Ensure the required performance and stability of network services and servers (LAN, WAN, Messaging, Internet and VSATs connectivity, VPN, etc.), to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruptions.
4. Coordinate the configuration and performance of the HF/VHF networks and equipment, as well as the provision of Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) compliance devices to Page 1 / 4staff and office vehicles.
5. Monitor on a daily basis the accuracy and completion of servers’ backups. 6. Liaise with ITC service providers and vendors for the adequate provision of supplies and services.
7. Maintain the office’s ITC inventory for hardware and software (safeguarding media and licenses), including regular updates to the technical documentation for the voice and data networks.
8. Ensure the adequate IT infrastructure performance for mission-critical and corporate applications such as Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA), PRISM, Intranet, etc. Liaise with technical counterparts for technical support and day-to-day issues. 9. Facilitate the implementation of in-house development of required database information systems to support mission operations, included, but not limited to, data collection, data analysis and reporting and information management requirements facilitation.
10. Develop and implement when necessary, ITC training to all end users, data entry operators and enumerators to ensure productive use of the IT, telecommunications and information systems in the mission.
11. Advice mission management as necessary, for required improvements on mission IT Infrastructure and provision of services as required for the efficient functioning of mission operations.
12. In coordination with RMO liaise with Logistics and Procurement to ensure proper technical specification for purchase of ITC-related equipment and propose most suitable solutions. 13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in implementation and administration of Microsoft Windows network environment (LAN/WAN) and first level network/desktop support;
• Extensive knowledge of Windows Operating System for Clients and Servers, Administration of a multi-site environment, TCP/IP, Telecoms, Network Protocols, Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and utilities. CCNA, MCP (Windows/Exchange Server) and/or MCSA/MCDBA/MCSE certifications would be a distinct advantage;
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of database information systems and data processing tools. Knowledge of web-based development, geographical information systems and/or mapping tools would be a distinctive advantage;
• Experience working with an international organization or an international agency in a field location;
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrate high level of initiative, perseverance and professional commitment to achieve high-quality results; • Demonstrated ability to handle confidential data in a professional, responsible and mature manner;
Page 2 / 4• Demonstrated ability to coach individuals, to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues within a team from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 December 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on Page 3 / 4your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 13.12.2017 to 27.12.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/267 (P)-InformationTechnologyandCommunicationOfficer(P2)-Niamey,Niger (55285232) Released
Posting: Posting NC55285237 (55285237) Released
Page 4 / 4