UN Women: Recruitment Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Human Resource Section is responsible for the timely, accurate, equitable, effective and efficient delivery of all human resources management services, i.e. strategic staff planning, recruitment, staff administration, organizational and design and learning/career development, for the continuous development and improvement in human resource operations, policies, and methods to align with UN Women evolving business needs, and for providing advisory support to the Executive Director in the formulation and implementation of UN Women's overall mission, strategy and plans of actions.
Under the supervision of the Recruitment Team Lead, the Recruitment Specialist will facilitate the recruitment process for the designated client offices. She/He will also support the HR section on the development and implementation of recruitment initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Facilitate the recruitment and selection processes for designated client offices:
- Project and monitor vacant post in the designated client offices;
- Advise hiring manager on the best staffing modality and appropriate use of different contract types;
- Lead timely transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes, including post establishment with proper job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates and reporting, in line with UN Women policies and standards;
- Facilitate interview panels, conduct reference checks and follow up on the approval processes;
- Send offers to successful candidates and provide feedback to non-successful candidates as needed;
- Provide advice on the interpretation and application of HR policies, regulation and rules related to recruitment and staffing.
Provide technical and coordination support to HR Section on the development and implementation of recruitment initiatives:
- Provide technical inputs to the development and implementation of recruitment policy, procedures, practices and system;
- Provide substantive inputs to HR’s outreach efforts, including the development of communication platforms such as intranet, internet and HR Bulletin;
- Provide inputs and feedback on the implementation of the e-recruitment system as required.
Provide Technical support to HR Reporting on recruitment and staffing:
- Share data and information related to recruitment;
- Prepare special recruitment and staffing reports, as required.
Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Recruitment and Selection processes implemented, on time and on scope per policy and UN Women values;
- Timely advice on use contract modalities;
- Any issues related to recruitment escalated in timely manner;
- Timely and accurate HR report on recruitment and staffing.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf.
- Strong general HR knowledge and expertise with a focus on recruitment and selection, knowledge of modern concepts and approaches in the field of HR Business Partnering;
- Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Good planning, goal-setting and prioritization and organizational skills;
- Ability to write and present ideas and concepts;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Good understanding of UN Staff Regulations and Rules and human resources policies and procedures is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology, Organizational Development, Public Administration or other relevant social sciences.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in human resource management or related area;
- Experience in recruitment and selection is required.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN working language is an asset.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.