Snap Web Developer (Volunteer)
Job Title: SNAP Web Developer (Volunteer)
ABOUT WFP (World Food Programme)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Unit of WFP’s Regional Bureau for North Africa, Middle East, Central Asia and Eastern Europe in Cairo is looking for a Web Developer who will be responsible for managing and updating its Safety Net Alerts Platform (SNAP) https://snap.vam.wfp.org/main. SNAP is an online application to perform economic analysis and create simulations to inform the decision-making process in the context of food security related programming and policy making. The SNAP project started two years ago and the first version of application is already released and currently serving analysis of price and other economic data for 14 countries in the region. The incumbent will primarily be managing/updating the application, fixing bugs, making it user friendly and tailoring the application to the customized requirements from different country offices. The second phase of SNAP is scheduled for the next year, the incumbent will also be compiling the requirements and improvement fixes to be considered in the SNAP Phase 2. SNAP application is developed using the open source architecture, and the second phase will also maintain the open source development approach.
Within delegated authority, the SNAP Web Developer will be responsible to:
· Review the SNAP system design and architecture and propose technical and design fixes of the application.
· Review the database architecture and propose performance fixes.
· Establish backend database linkages with other database systems within WFP and outside as needed.
· Maintain and update the main landing page of the SNAP and update news and glossary section as instructed.
· Process/Upload data to SNAP and review the outcome according to standard quality assurance guidelines.
· Provide training on SNAP to the new SNAP focal points in different country offices.
· Translate STATA code for Shock Impact Simulation Model (SISMOD) into SNAP compatible SQL statement following the standardized approach.
· Establish linkages to WFP’s Spatial Data Infrastructure and other corporate web-mapping applications
· Perform other duties as required
· Collaborate with the SNAP development team to compile a detailed technical documentation of SNAP platform along with a user manual.
· Perform design and database fixes and bug fixes as needed.
· Perform capacity and gap analysis of SNAP and propose an improvement plan for the second version of SNAP application.
· Ensure the smooth running of SNAP application and updates.
· Maintain and update the SNAP landing page.
· Ensure timely backup of system and database.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Advanced University degree in Computer Sciences or any other relevant field
Experience: Working experience of open source web development architecture in a corporate environment
Knowledge & Skills:
· Proficient knowledge of both server side and client side web programming languages including PHP, JAVA Script, HTML5, CSS, XML.
· Proficient knowledge of SQL and open source relational database management systems especially PostgreSQL.
· Proficient knowledge of Bootstrap framework.
· Experience of managing and administering UBANTU server.
· Experience in managing and administering APACHE web server.
· Experience of connecting databases using REST APIs and other data communication standards.
· Experience with translating business and data modeling logics into standardized SQL statement.
· Experience with data analysis/modelling using R and/or Python
· Working experience of linking and developing GIS based web mapping applications.
· Experience with statistical software (e.g. STATA, SPSS, R) highly desirable
Strong interpersonal skills, courtesy, tact and ability to effectively deal with people of different nationals and culture. Work with limited supervision and ability to communicate in a team spirit with different people with cultural and ethnic background. Ability to work systematically, use initiatives and good judgment and to communicate complex matters both oral and in writing.
Languages: Fluency in oral and written communication in English
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
JOB TITLE: SNAP WEB DEVELOPER
TYPE AND LEVEL OF CONTRACT: VOLUNTEER , UNPAID
UNIT/DIVISION: VULNERABILITY ANALYSIS & MAPPING (VAM)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): REGIONAL BUREAU IN CAIRO (RBC) – CAIRO, EGYPT
REPORT TO (Job title): REG.PROGRAMME & POLICY OFFICER/VAM – ECONOMIC AND MARKET ANALYSIS LEAD
DURATION OF CONTRACT: 3 MONTHS, UNPAID
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
No later than 1st January 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Please apply by creating a profile and applying through the below link: