1751 Project Officer - Gender Mainstreaming
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In the period 2016-2017, UN Women Programme Office in Serbia works towards selected development results in the framework of several projects to effectively coordinate and promote accountability for the implementation of gender equality commitments and advancing gender responsive policies and budgeting in Serbia. The three-year Gender Equality Facility Serbia Project will support the Government of the Republic of Serbia in effective implementation of the EU Gender Equality Acquis and the National Strategy for Gender Equality 2016-2020 by contributing to the specific measures of the National Action Plan for Gender Equality 2016-2018 and throughs support to women CSOs. The beneficiaries of the project are the Coordination Body for Gender Equality, the Ministry of European Integration, and women's civil society organizations. Furthermore, the project will advance the position of women and will support local communities in fulfilling their commitments on gender equality.
The project will focus on the following key results:
- Result 1: The Coordination Body for Gender Equality has the administrative capacities to implement the National Action Plan for Gender Equality and to perform gender mainstreaming of state funded programmes.
- Result 2: The Ministry of European Integration and IPA units, NIPAC TS/BCPME and authorized applicants have the knowledge and skills to include gender perspective in programming, implementation, monitoring and reporting for IPA programmes.
- Result 3: Women CSOs are supported to implement measures and share experiences and good practices in the implementation of measures of the National Action Plan on Gender Equality in the area of women's economic empowerment and the empowerment of rural women.
UN Women Serbia will implement the Project, in close cooperation with the Coordination Body for Gender Equality, the Ministry of European Integration, the EU Delegation in Serbia and other partner institutions and women's organizations’.
Under the Result 2 the Project will ensure that EU directives on Gender Equality are grounded in national strategies, action plans, structures, procedures, and implementation. The Project will provide a systematic capacity development for structures involved in management of EU and bilateral funds, Ministry of European Integration (NIPAC TS/BCPME) and authorized applicants and will ensure that facts are available to key decision making bodies, through provision of technical guidance and support in gender analysis of selected sector documents and translation of identified gender equality priorities into actions in the relevant multiannual and annual programming documents (Sector planning documents and Action Documents). The Ministry of European Integration will be supported in establishment and functioning of the quality assurance and internal review process for gender mainstreaming in programming of EU funds. Additionally, the Ministry will be supported in revising the relevant documents and procedures in line the requirements from the Regulation (EU) 1303/2013 and Commission guidelines on ex-ante conditionalities. Furthermore, technical support will be provided for meeting gender equality requirements in Government of Serbia’s Periodic Communications related to international and EU reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Gender Specialist, the Project Officer is responsible for providing programmatic and administration support to results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the activities and achievement of planned project results under the Result 2 and support the implementation of communication and advocacy related activities.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Project implementation and technical support
- Results based monitoring and evaluation and knowledge building
- Finance and administration
- Other support
Description of Functions:
1. Project implementation and technical support
- Ensure timely and adequate implementation of activities according to the project activity plan and effective delivery of results;
- Prepare a detailed work plan and performance monitoring plan to implement proposed activities, and ensure links with UN Women’s commitment under UNDAF/UN Framework (Development Partnership Framework 2016-2020) and UN Women Strategic Plan;
- Design, oversee, and coordinate the implementation of relevant project activities with implementing partners;
- Maintain close communication with partners, including government, civil society organizations, international organizations, UN agencies, and donors. Maintain regular contacts with beneficiaries to ensure relevance and quality of projects’ outputs;
- Provide overall supervision of the work of implementing partners and external consultants to ensure the production of the expected outputs;
- Provide technical support and expert advice to implementing partners and key stakeholders on specific issues related to the project scope;
- Assume responsibility for the smooth functioning of all operational activities related to project implementation;
- Hold consultations with the project partners and other stakeholders in order to ensure timely information about the project implementation;
- Support organization of Project Steering Committee and provide regular updates on implementation of activities and achieved results under the Result 2;
- Organize and run effective coordination meetings and ensure communication flow among partners;
- Ensure timely implementation of all project activities and monitor the proper use of funds according to signed agreements and work plans;
- Provides support to implementing partners to manage activities.
2. Results based monitoring and evaluation and knowledge building
- Assume responsibility for monitoring and reporting, as well as for timely submission of quality progress reports and agreed-upon monitoring deliverables;
- Regularly review planned activities, and make necessary modifications/ratifications when needed in response to any emerging circumstances;
- Draft project progress reports and provide inputs to project related products, including updates.
3. Finance and administration
- Manage the activities’ financial resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations;
- Manage project files and support information collection and dissemination;
- Support the procurement, travel and other logistic procedures related to the project (preparing ToR for the consultants, collecting offers, preparing travel authorization, travel claims, and related logistics).
- Develop and implement the communication strategy and annual communication plan that supports the Result 2 of the Project, increase visibility and impact of the project’s advocacy activities and initiatives;
- Support development of high quality publications and communication products, such as brochures, infographic reports and project factsheet, human interest stories and maintain contacts with designers, printing companies and other suppliers. Oversee and coordinate the development and production of information products and communication materials in support to the project (donor bulletins, brochures, fact sheets, presentations, information leaflets, knowledge products, etc.);
- Support advocacy work.
5. Other support
- Report on a regular basis to Gender Specialist in order to ensure coordination, linkages, and synergies between all areas of work carried out by UN Women Programme Office in Serbia;
- Contribute to annual work planning and budgeting processes of the UN Women Programme Office in Serbia;
- Support building partnerships at the country level and coordinate with the relevant stakeholders as deemed necessary;
- Contribute to UN Women Quarterly Monitoring and Annual reporting; and
- Provide programmatic and technical support to UN Women in Serbia as deemed necessary.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the design, operation, programming, monitoring and reporting of activities, progress and achievements, as well as creation of strategic partnerships and visibility of achieved results.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring of development projects and activities;
- Ability to lead results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skill;
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internet, etc.;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, resourceful and energetic approach to problem solving;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Strong analytical skills and team building skills;
- Ability to handle conflict and sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively, and creatively across different constituencies; and
- Capacity to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Bachelor`s degree in gender studies, management, international relations, political sciences, social sciences, or others is required.
- Master degree in gender studies, management, international relations, political sciences, social sciences, or others is an asset.
- 2 years of relevant experience with Master`s degree or 4 years with Bachelor's degree in coordinating, programming and reporting; previous experience in the development or/and humanitarian sector, particularly on gender equality will be considered an asset;
- Proven track record and experience in reporting and communicating results, and developing programme and project planning documents;
- Proven experience or understanding of issues of gender equality and violence against women;
- Excellent writing skills in preparing briefs, reports, human interest stories or similar for various audiences;
- Understanding of Serbia normative framework, government and non-government working on gender equality in Serbia;
- Prior work experience with UN is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and Serbian both verbal and written, is required.
The following are steps for on-line application:
- Submit the application through the UNDP Serbia Jobs website. http://www.rs.undp.org/content/serbia/en/home/operations/jobs.html
- Upload completed and signed P11 form in the required resume field. The P11 form can be downloaded from: http://www.undp.org.rs/download/P11_SC_SSA.doc;
- As this position is under Service Contract modality, only applications of applicants with Serbian nationality or valid working permit in Serbia will be considered for the vacancy.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.