Consultant - Collection Centers
Consultant: Collection Centers The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Consultant to design and construct four collection centers to aggregate potatoes and inputs. The collection centers are targeted to be built in Elgeyo- Marakwet, Meru, Nandi and Uasin Gishu counties.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The CIP Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) main regional office is in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Assignment: CIP is supporting potato marketing cooperatives and seed multipliers to develop into functioning businesses through the Accelerated Value Chain Development (AVCD) project, potato value chain. A component of this support involves constructing collection centers to aggregate and sort potato for markets and receive collective input orders to distribute to cooperative members. Under the AVCD project, the Consultant will work in close collaboration with CIP and the farmer cooperatives to build the four collection centers, with an expected capacity of 50 to 100 tonnes, with shelving for short-term storage and tables to assist sorting. The assignment is to visit the proposed site to design the collection center for each cooperative ensuring all materials and labour requirements are listed to ease procurement by CIP, followed by supervising and managing construction of the collection centers.
The responsibilities of the assignment are to:
• Visit the proposed sites making a brief report on all the necessary/relevant technical assessments on the proposed sites for the purpose of design and construction. • Design the collection centers, including preparing a list of all required materials and equipment to construct the collection centers
• Submit the designs, list of materials required for the construction of the collection centers and construction schedule for each collection center
• Supervise/manage construction of the collection centers
The successful Consultant will have:
• Experience of not less than 10 years working in a busy construction company(ies) involved in designing and management of construction projects
• Technical knowledge in building construction or any other related field (at least a diploma) • Must be a team player, able to coordinate well with cooperatives and CIP. • Must have been accredited by the national construction authority at least as a building supervisor.
• Knowledge in potato post handling/ storage practices or a in a similar project in the past shall
be an added advantage.
Conditions: The employment contract will be for the duration agreed upon to design and construct
the collection centers.
Applications: Applicants should apply through CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a brief cover letter summarizing their relevance to this
position and a bid as outlined below. Deadline to apply is 22 nd December 2017. Only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.
The Applicant is to submit a CV clearly demonstrating experience in designing and managing
construction projects relevant to this assignment. The bid is also to indicate the daily rate to prepare
visit the sites, design the collection centers and supervise/manage construction.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting,
processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.