Data Science Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support is responsible for the delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
The Information and Communications Technology Division of DFS has implemented a range of civilian and military field technologies to address the requirements of peacekeeping operations that have been identified as strategic enablers to make peacekeeping more effective and efficient. Partnerships and bi-lateral sponsorships with member states and other entities are being developed to facilitate the introduction of innovation and modern technologies to support mandate implementation in UN Field Missions.
The incumbent for this post will be placed in the UN Department of Field Support. The Data Science Specialist will play a technical role in developing data components which will bring information into analytics and visualizations which will support strategic decision making.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will directly work under RDM Business Solutions Manager or his designate in New York.
The Data Science Specialist will be responsible for the following duties:
- Architect, analyze and manage data in order to build data driven insights and high impact data models to generate significant organizational value;
- Implement data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems;
- Create models and processes to collect, distill and interpret data with a view to aid better, more informed decision making;
- Analyze a broad range of existing data sources;
- Examine and explore data from multiple disparate sources with the goal of discovering insights which in turn can provide valuable insight;
- Analyze and implement ETL processes to bring data from data source into data hub;
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis;
- Design data marts within enterprise data hub;
- Analyze and develop multidimensional data models, including performance measures, to enable scorecard analysis;
- Develop multidimensional and tabular cubes and database views to expose data to visualization tools;
- Write documentation and prepare training material;
- Assist Data and Analytics Specialist with data related problems;
- Perform other duties as required
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The result of work of the Data Science Specialist impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Business Administration, Engineering or related field.
A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience in information and communications technology may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
· A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT, budget and finance, administration, human resources, or other related fields is required.
· A minimum of three (3) years of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of data systems and ETLs or related areas is required;
· A minimum of three (3) years of experience with Microsoft SQL or other relational databases;
· A minimum of one (1) year of experience developing with MS Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services;
· Experience developing data models with DAX, MDX, MS SQL Server Analysis Services;
· Experience in database modeling and data mart design;
· Experience with SAP HANA;
· Experience in data transformation with R and Python;
· Experience in programming with C# and .Net;
· Experience in Enterprise Service Buses such as JBoss Fuse;
· Experience in MS SQL Reporting Services;
· Familiarity with data automation techniques;
· Familiarity with data software and big data frameworks such as Spark and Hadoop; · Knowledge of Agile/Scrum methodologies;
· Experience in REST APIs;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA 2
Contract duration: Until 30 June 2018 (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services