Project Manager/Coordinator (UN Women)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society in advancing gender equality through implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. UN Women Ukraine implements interventions towards the realization of following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of women, peace and security agenda and gender responsive governance. UN Women works closely with the UN Country Team in integration of women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of UN work.The project “Building democratic, peaceful and gender equal society in Ukraine” will be implemented in conflict affected areas of Eastern Ukraine, three oblasts of Donetsk, Luhansk and Zaporizhzhya. It aims at ensuring that women and girls, especially most vulnerable affected by conflict will participate and equally benefit from recovery, peace and community security planning in Eastern Ukraine. The project has two Outcomes: 1) Women and girls, affected by conflict in three eastern oblasts, equally participate in and benefit from recovery, peace and security processes; and 2) Law enforcement and women’s community groups in three pilot oblasts jointly develop and implement Gender-based violence prevention and response strategies as a part of local community security.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of International Programme Specialist based in Kyiv, Project Manager/Coordinator will be responsible for management and coordination of project activities in Donetska, Luhanska and Zaporizhska oblast of Ukraine (government-controlled territory).Impact of results:The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively implement UN Women’s programs and related operations in the country. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment within the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Programme Development and Management;
- Contribution to Inter-Agency and Partner Coordination;
- Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization;
- Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1. Programme Development and Management
- Design and formulation of programme initiatives translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches;
- Prepare reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Facilitate programme monitoring and evaluation, as well as audit activities;
- Assure that due security measures are in place with regard to the project personnel and assets;
- Ensure overall operational management of the project in accordance with the programme document, work plans and other agreements between the Government and UN Women;
- Ensure timely preparation, update and implementation of annual and detailed implementation work plans and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the programme activities;
- Provide substantive input to activities and ensure timely implementation of programme, including reporting on achieved progress;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of project team subordinated to the Project Manager/Coordinator, experts and consultants, including the preparation of the terms of reference, facilitation of recruitment and monitoring of work/results;
- Ensure proper management of the budget allocated for the project implementation. Ensure that funds are available when needed and disbursements achieved as per the work plans and cost-sharing agreements;
- Ensure compliance of project’s business processes with UN Women Rules, Regulations and Standard Operating Procedures;
- Coordinate and monitor field level activities of the project;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results.
2. Contribution to Inter-Agency and Partner Coordination
- Coordinate among stakeholders as well as among various structures of governmental institutions on behalf of UN Women in the subject area;
- Provide technical advisory support to UN Women in engagement with Government of Ukraine, line Ministries and other relevant local authorities to support the capacity development and implementation of the project.
- Maintain close liaison with local and national partners, ensuring optimum participation of all relevant stakeholders;
- Develop the professional platform for networking and partnership building with the national and regional authorities, CSOs, private sector and international development organizations or projects;
- Ensure development of cross-programme linkages with other relevant UN and UN Women projects and programmes and other stakeholders’ projects for mutually reinforcing impact;
- Ensure coordination with relevant working groups and information sharing.
3. Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization
- Support UN Women in partnership building and resource mobilization initiatives;
- Facilitate collection, analysis and interpretation of data in the field of project implementation in the target regions of Ukraine. Ensure availability of an up-to-date information on all critical issues related to project implementation;
- Prepare regular updates to UN Women with situation analysis (political, social, and economic) in the field of the programme implementation;
- Ensure and contribute to preparation and implementation of the UN Women communications strategy and plan.
4. Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Manage the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Ensure awareness about current and emerging trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
- Prepare articles and social media materials on the project activities as well as the thematic materials;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Full and appropriate implementation of project activities in three regions;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the project disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- Reporting, quality monitoring activities completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Annual work plan for project is fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery for the project reached 100%;
- Partnership and sdvocacy networks at national level are established.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Demonstrated strong coordination, facilitation and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Management, Public Administration, Human Rights, Law, Economics, Gender Studies and Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in providing management services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments including at least 7 years of management advisory services or related field preferably in the international environment;
- Experience with implementing, human rights, gender equality and women's empowerment projects/initiatives. Experience in advocacy for gender equality and women's empowerment is desirable;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into recovery issues at the national and sub-national levels would be an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office, Outlook, etc.).
- Fluency in oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages.
- Click on the "Apply now" button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in or paste your Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11). When completing the Form and, even though not currently requested, please include email addresses for your Supervisors.
- Without the completed and signed P11 your application will not be considered. The UNDP Personal History Form can be downloaded at link. Failure to disclose prior employment or making false representations on this form will be grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of his/her application or termination, where the appointment or contract has been issued.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and please ensure that copies of your educational qualifications are available when contacted.
This is a locally recruited position and no expatriation benefits will apply.DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 11 JANUARY 2018UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.