SVN 2017/246 (P) - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Officer (P2) - Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
Position Title Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Officer
Duty Station : Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 January 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia
(Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in Cox’s Bazar and the direct supervision of the Information Management Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for the development, implementation, and daily operations/activities of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) areas of work to support programme/projects implementation and the overall Mission’s activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Plan, design, and implement integrated mechanisms for geo-data gathering and information management across the mission activities to meet information needs and to ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored, and submitted in a timely manner to be further processed and in coordination with the Database Manager.
2. Conduct research to support methodology design, development of data collection tools, project preparation, and report development.
3. Train and support staff in tasks related to data collection, GIS-related requirements for data collection and management, surveys, and assessments.
4. Identify and analyse existing GIS systems and structure capacities, availability of relevant Page 1 / 3datasets, and data and information gaps. Design effective solutions to meet GIS-related needs in an accurate and timely manner.
5. Oversee, coordinate, and manage effective Geographic Information Systems (GIS) implementation, including the production of GIS-related products both for operational purposes and information sharing and dissemination.
6. In coordination with the database manager, design, develop, and maintain systems required for geodatabases and other spatial data infrastructures for better information management, including data collection activities, data analysis and processing, and production of various types of information products.
7. Establish and maintain strong partnerships and regular liaison with key stakeholders in relation to GIS such as the Information Management Working Group, GIS unit from other clusters and the information management structure of implementing partners. 8. Ensure the use of IOM data protection principles and other relevant IOM standards, guidelines, and policies relevant to all information management system, processes, and mechanism to be planned, developed, and implemented.
9. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Information Management, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the use of GIS in emergency operation context;
• Expertise of ESRI ArcGIS and other GIS-related software;
• Knowledge of Relational Database Management System (RDBMS);
• Knowledge of Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, and word processing;
• Knowledge of data protection guidelines and principles;
• Experience in relevant issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance would be an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
Page 2 / 3• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
system, by 11 January 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 29.12.2017 to 11.01.2018
Requisition: SVN 2017/246 (P) - GIS Officer (P2) - Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh (55298117) Released Posting: Posting NC55298190 (55298190) Released
Page 3 / 3