Hatay | Turkey
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
In 2018, GOAL will embark on an ambitious 25-month programme to meet the WASH needs of over 550,000 people in GOAL’s Area of Operation (AoO). The programme will have three main components; Utility Operations, Improved Governance and Accountability and Emergency Response.
‘Utility Operations’ speaks to the support and inputs the organisation will provide to appropriate Water Provision Authorities to support the functionality of Water Units and Water Stations. This will include the establishment of an e-voucher system for fuel provision, an incentive programme to increase to promote cost recovery and the provision of increased water availability at household level and the establishment of an Infrastructure Stabilisation Fund for community-driven identification and prioritisation of rehabilitation works at the station and network level. In terms of improved Governance and Accountability, GOAL with work with Water Authorities to expand their remit beyond technical oversight through a meaningful capacity building programme that looks to improving financial management and the implementation of cost recovery systems. Finally, GOAL will integrate WASH interventions into its emergency response programme through targeted hygiene promotion and hygiene kit provision. The interventions proposed will be implemented by a multi-disciplinary team comprised of engineers, behaviour change agents and M&E staff.
General Description of the Role:
Reporting to the WASH Coordinator, the WASH Manager is part of a three-member team based in GOAL’s office in Antakya, Turkey. The role will focus on providing supporting technical operations within Syria, the implementation of technical solutions to mitigate for system constraints and Sector Coordination. The candidate is expected to proficient in the analysis and presentation of data and will be responsible for providing timely feedback on same to field teams and GOAL’s grants team.
The WASH manager will be the main focal point with GOAL’s Logistics team to ensure the technical quality of procurement, efficient delivery of equipment and technical oversight on the implementation of maintenance and repairs works.
WASH manager will directly line manage the WASH Data Officer and WASH Behavior Change officer and should provide the required support so they can complete their duties. This role will be based in Antakya, Turkey with approximately one week’s travel per month to Idleb, Syria if and when it is possible. This position directly reports to the WASH Coordinator based in Turkey.
Duties, objectives and competencies:
- Provide technical support to GOAL’s WASH team and supported Water Units to complete detailed assessments of water infrastructure at water station and network levels
- Supported the establishment of the Infrastructure Stabilisation Fund through the design of tools, review of applications and coordination with WASH Cluster
- Oversee the implementation of repair and maintenance plans;
- Monitor the implementation of all engineering works in terms of outputs against activity plans and in association with Water/Hygiene Units and the WASH PM ensure the works are completed to the highest technical standard within the allotted time and budget;
- Design technical assessment tools and support the team in Syria to implement assessments.
- Work with the WASH and procurement teams to complete procurements in line with GOAL’s procurement policy in a timely manner
- Act as a focal point for GOAL Logistics Team and Water/Hygiene Units to ensure the necessary construction materials are procured and delivered to specification.
- Coordinate with procurement and other support units to ensure work is being done on time with the best quality.
- Contribute to updating and reporting on WASH budgets for all grants on monthly basis.
- Contribute to developing a budget and budget narrative for new proposals as requested by WASH Coordinator and ACDP.
Grants and reporting
- Submission of weekly WASH report.
- Input on donor reporting as required.
Data collection and analysis:
- Lead any assessments by providing support to the field team and coordinate with WASH cluster.
- Support WASH officer when needed in updating WASH database and ensure WASH team in Syria are doing the required documentation for all data.
Behavior change and cost recovery:
- Contribute to cost recovery implementation in all GOAL AoO.
- Support hygiene promotion team in designing sessions and messages with the focus on behaviour change of the community.
- Administrative works in the office.
- Act as focal contact person with WASH partners, Support partners on programmatic reporting and information management.
- Represent GOAL externally as required;
- Ensure that policies and guidelines as laid down in GOAL manuals and policies are adhered to at all times;
- Ensure adherence to GOAL’s Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy and standards of integrity, as well as uphold GOAL’s whistleblowing mechanisms;
- Ensure adherence to the financial guidelines according to GOAL Financial procedures;
- Ensure donor compliance against all donor requirements, including timely quality reporting, as applicable to the project;
- Any other tasks as requested by your line manager.
- Turkish Citizenship
- Degree level qualification in civil engineering; or related fields
- Good computer skills including Microsoft office applications and other programs needed to design assessment tools.
- Good understanding of water and sanitation provision in the Syrian context;
- Experience of programme design and implementation;
- Experience of staff management and capacity development;
- Minimum two years of experience in WASH programs.
- Experience in cost recovery, hygiene promotion, behaviour change, accountability in WASH programs.
- Prepared to work in insecure environments.
- Budget development, procurement and financial management skills;
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work when under pressure;
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills
- Strong communication, analysis and writing skills.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles;
- Fluency in Arabic and good English language skills (spoken and written)
- Previous experience working with public water and sanitation authorities a distinct advantage;
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in northern Idlib
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organizations an advantage.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
Application deadline is 7 February 2018.
If you would like to apply for the above position, please click here and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you. **
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Hatay | Turkey
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-02-07