International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-01 RT/NRS/CCCAP
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking two (2) highly competent Research Technicians for the CIP- China Center for Asia Pacific (CCCAP).
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicatedtoachievingfoodsecurity, improved well-being,andgenderequityfor poorpeople in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Itsscienceiscarriedoutbythe15researchcenterswhoaremembersoftheCGIARConsortiumincollaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. CCCAP is in the process of opening a sizeable R&D facility in Beijing (YanqingDistrict),includinghiringstaffandoutfittingthefacilitywithlaboratoryequipmentandfurniture.Through its research on root and tuber crops and capacity-building programs, CCCAP aims to boost RTC production in the Asia Pacific region and beyond, accelerate poverty reduction and improve food security.
The position: These positions will be based in Yanqing Beijing, China and will report to the Science Lab Specialist. These positions is expected to provide technical support of a wide variety of lab services. Duties and Responsibilities:
• Relocateandsetexperimentstoolsandequipmenttoguaranteeitisavailableindifferentenvironments at the time the experiment is ready to be conduct.
• Enter the information collected to the project’s data base to ensure its accuracy and update. • Execute daily measurement and weighment procedures to contribute with the projects’ data collection. • Handle laboratory equipment following specific instructions to contribute with the execution of the platform and project. • Perform tissue culture operative activities to contribute with the platform development, or perform second-generation sequencing operative activities to contribute with the platform development and
provide service for projects.
The ideal candidate will have most if not all the following skills, knowledge, experience and personal characteristics:
• Technical studies or bachelor degree in biotechnology, biological engineering or related disciplines. • Basic knowledge of molecular biology or related technologies.
• At least one year of experience performing lab duties.
• Skilled in tissue culture technology is preferred, skilled nucleic acid related technologies (PCR) and second-generation sequencing experience is preferred.
• Fluent in Chinese and basic level in English is desirable.
• Well organized to handle day-to-day lab experiments.
• Careful, creative and hardworking.
Conditions: The employment contract will be for a two-year term with possibility of renewal. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth. The successful candidate will receive a compensation package comparable with similar organizations and in line with the candidate’s qualification and experience.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), attaching the following documents in English: a cover letter summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeableofthecandidate’sprofessionalqualificationsandworkexperience.Screeningofapplicationswill begin on January 15, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries
are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Beijing (China)
- Grade: Mid level
- Scientist and Researcher
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Closing Date: 2018-01-20