Research Assistant - Food Analysis
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
RESEARCH ASSISTANT – FOOD ANALYSIS The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Research Assistant to provide technical support in the areas of analytical chemistry and food microbiology in sweetpotato roots and leaves and their processed products. The candidate should have experience in food safety, food microbiology and analytical chemistry. The candidate must also have an eye for detail, an ability to work on their own initiative, excellent organizational and communication skills and a positive attitude.
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor
The Position: The Research Assistant will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, at the CIP- Sub-Saharan (CIP-SSA) Regional office.
Duties and Responsibilities: This will include, but not limited to: • Conduct food and nutritional analysis on roots, tubers and banana crop samples
• To assist our partners in the reporting and trending of testing results to the technical team, production and customers as required.
• Work with the Food Scientists and Research Associate to ensure implementation, maintenance and improvements in the laboratory quality system procedures, testing methods and records
• Assist with basic analytical chemistry analysis such as operation of HPLC, UV-VIS, NIRS, GCMS, LCMS;
• Maintenance and daily verification of laboratory instrumentation. • Ensure observation of good laboratory practice including drafting risk assessments and surveillance of laboratory users’ activity; Selection Criteria:
Analytical Chemistry, Biological Sciences or related area
• At least 1 year work experience in a research laboratory. • Experience working on potato, sweetpotato, cassava and biofortified crops preferred.
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills in EnglishConditions: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at the CIP- SSA, Nairobi office. The employment contract will be for a one-year term (with a
three-month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to availability of
funding and good performance. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive
working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Salary and benefits will follow the CIP policies and refer to related Kenya regulations.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities
website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation
summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V. with the names and contact
information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s
profesndonal qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin
on 22 January, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed
candidates will be contacted.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application,
interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with
information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Scientist and Researcher
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: 2018-01-22