Project Manager(Economic Diversification and Inclusive Growth)
UNDP operates in more than 170 countries and territories around the world. UNDP offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations that can withstand crisis, and that drive and sustain growth that improves the quality of life for everyone.
In Botswana, the role of UNDP is shaped by the status of the country as an upper middle-income country. UNDP has been collaborating with the Government, civil society and the private sector to develop solutions to meet global and national development challenges. UNDP’s approach has been to develop and sustain strategic partnerships that find innovative solutions to address gaps on both the demand and supply side of development processes.
Botswana has reached a relatively high level of infrastructure development, is well-resourced and able to fund most of its developmental needs. However, Botswana requires best practices, high-quality policy advice on how best to respond to challenges associated with its middle-income status, including widening inequalities and disparities, persistent poverty among population groups, and climate change and natural disaster risks.
In support of the implementation of the Vision 2036, NDP 11 and SDGs, UNDP is supporting the Botswana’s agenda for Economic Diversification and Inclusive Growth (EDIG). The overall objective of UNDP’s support is to strengthen the capacities of institutions that are responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of inclusive growth policies and programmes to achieve economic diversification and growth, job creation and poverty eradication.
Guided by the UNDP’s Draft Strategic Plan’s 2018 - 2021, integrative approach and the UNDP strategy on inclusive and sustainable growth, this project will support Botswana in efforts to diversify sources of economic growth, eradicate poverty and reduce inequalities and exclusion. It will contribute primarily to the Strategic Plan outcome – growth and development are inclusive and sustainable, incorporating productive capacities that create employment and livelihoods for the poor and excluded. It will also support the achievement in other areas of work, gender equality and women’s empowerment and prioritization of poverty, inequality and exclusion in development debates and actions.
It is directly aligned with the SDGs that emphasize the need to transition to more inclusive and sustainable growth pathways so that economic growth does not take place at the expense of the poor and vulnerable groups. The Strategy contributes directly to Goal 8 of the SDGs: sustained, inclusive and sustainable growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
In this role, the Project Manager will be responsible for project management ensuring quality and results by:
- Overseeing and managing of the Economic Diversification and Inclusive Growth (EDIG). project on day-to-day basis;
- Overseeing monitoring and evaluation activities of the project;
- Managing partnerships, policy, resource mobilization and advocacy efforts, and;
- Facilitating knowledge management and sharing.
1. Function/Expected Results: Oversee and manage the project on day-to-day basis
- Manage the project team (technical specialists, project officers, support staff, consultants) and ensure timely implementation, results –orientation and accountability for project results;
- Lead the development of annual programme/project delivery targets and guide the team to achieve the targets;
- Set direction for the team including roles and responsibilities, accountability and reporting ensuring that the work of the team is conducted in accordance with UNDP’s relevant business processes and that high – quality outputs are delivered on time;
- Guide the project staff to perform project oversight, quality assurance, monitoring, reporting, field missions, audits, evaluations, formulations and project support services providing day-to-day guidance by enhancing team work within the project and with other Country Office units;
- Monitor the progress on agreed results framework and performance indicators and take action/decision and/or provide timely support to project staff;
- Undertake performance management of staff including establishment of annual results, on-going feedback and mid-term and final assessments in line with UNDP Rules and Regulations;
- Provide intellectual and strategic guidance in the area of economic empowerment and private sector development, prompting gender equality and inclusion of marginalized populations ensuring conflict – sensitivity and compliance with UNDP’s Social and Environmental standards and other rules and regulations;
- Ensure project meets expectations with respect to quality, budget, delivery timelines, and strategy;
- Brief and consult with senior management on project progress and provide information and advice as required to contribute to the Country Office initiatives;
- Identify areas of improvement by applying best practices/lessons learnt using UNDP corporate monitoring tools and corporate reports;
- Manage project budgets and ensure timely and accurate reporting, and;
- Undertake and supervise financial and administrative tasks including ATLAS transactions.
2. Function/Expected Results: Manage partnerships, policy, resource mobilization and advocacy efforts
- Advise, guide and provide support in partnerships with the private sector and specific project partners;
- Provide policy advice to UNDP and the project to enable private sector engagement and Public Private Dialogue;
- Set and manage donor expectations and manage day-to-day donor interaction;
- Seek and identify additional partnership and funding opportunities, and oversee the preparation of funding proposals, donor briefing and presentations in support of resource mobilization to advance UNDP’s and the project goals;
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with UN agencies, and other relevant multilateral and bilateral organizations to advance and support the project;
- Foster and enhance collaboration with relevant Government bodies by working closely with Government counterparts and national partners;
- Establishes strong ties to and with national programmes, and relevant government ministries;
- Lead the analytical and policy development work of the project team;
- Contribute to the UNDP’s work on economic diversification and inclusive growth in support of country strategies.
3. Function/Expected Results: Oversee Monitoring and Evaluation activities of the project
- Ensure close financial and procurement oversight and monitoring of all activities of the project;
- Set direction for monitoring and evaluation priorities in accordance to UNDP rules and regulations;
- Guide development of overall monitoring and evaluation systems for the project and put mechanisms in place for proper and timely reporting to the country office and the donor;
- Oversee relationships with external parties on M&E;
- Lead quarterly review meetings and annual project reviews by monitoring the progress of project implementation, assessing results and identifying areas of weaknesses to ensure the project achieves the planned results in accordance with relevant plans;
- Monitor and manage any strategic risks/issues facing the project; submit new risks/issues to the Board for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks/issues by maintaining the Project Risks/Issues Log;
- Ensure project’s procedural alignment with UNDP position, rules and regulations and mandate;
- Evaluate all key project deliverables, as well as final product to ensure traceability of requirements, high quality and client acceptance.
4. Function/Expected Results: Facilitate knowledge management and sharing
- Ensure regular assessment of strategic, implementation, action plans identifying areas of emphasis to guide project improvements and future plans;
- Use sound judgment in all project communication and ensure that project communication meets needs of different audiences (government, private sector and so forth)
- Manage stakeholder expectations and participate in communication activities to inform stakeholders of progress and issues;
- Establish and maintain a usable, auditable and well-communicated records of the project;
- Lead the process of knowledge creation and dissemination related to national, regional and global know-how in the subject area. In this context, partner with practitioners and members of the national think tanks, and UNDP global networks;
- Ensure staff implementation of mandatory training and promote learning and development;
- Communicate progress, risks, expectations, timelines, milestones and other key project metrics to clients and team members;
- Organize internal and external networks or communities of practice covering prominent experts in government, non-government, think tanks, private companies, international development organizations and the UN system;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the programme knowledge networks and practices and development of knowledge products, and;
- Represent the project with donors, governments and national and international forums.
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence;
- Possesses expert knowledge of advanced concepts in primary discipline, a broad knowledge of related disciplines, as well as in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures;
- Applies a broad knowledge of best management practices, defines objectives and workflows, positions reporting relationships in such a way as to obtain maximum effectiveness for the project;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in areas of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop her/himself personally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in all work assignments;
- Responds flexibly & positively to change through active involvement;
- Possess excellent work/project planning skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complex, ever-changing environments;
- Possesses ability to lead implementation and monitoring of private sector development programmes and women empowerment programmes; and
- Possesses ability to formulate and manage budgets, and fundraise.
- Demonstrates an understanding of client/partner/donor perspective;
- Anticipates constraints in the project delivery and identifies solutions or alternatives;
- Identifies, develops and discusses solutions for internal and external clients, and persuades management to undertake new project and services; and
- Advises and develops strategic and operational solutions with clients that add value to UNDP programmes and operations.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Makes effective use of UNDP’s resources and comparative advantage to strengthen partnerships;
- Demonstrates experience of working with government counterparts especially on building successful partnerships;
- Creates networks and promotes initiatives with partner organizations, and;
- Has strong networking capabilities and ability to associate him/herself with a broad range of actors with a view to build relationships and facilitate links.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes UNDP as a learning organization;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others
- Has excellent knowledge of monitoring best practices;
- Has excellent communication skills (written and oral) demonstrating sensitivity and responsiveness to all partners, and;
- Maintains respectful and helpful relationships with other UN agencies, national counterparts, civil society organizations, private sector and the donor.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Builds staff competences, creating an environment for creativity and innovation;
- Builds and promotes effective and emotionally intelligent teams;
- Adapts easily to rapidly changing, multiple pressing demand work context;
- Leverages conflict in the interest of UNDP and sets standards;
- Shares knowledge across the organization and builds a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Examples fair and transparent decision making and calculated risk-taking, and;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
- The candidate should possess a Master Degree preferably in Economics, Public Policy/Administration, or Management related discipline with relevant professional qualification and necessary knowledge to undertake the assignment.
- 8 years of working experience with focus on economic, social and institutional development and capacity building in private sector/public sector institutions as core areas of expertise. Working knowledge and skills in IT is a prerequisite for the assignment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Gaborone
- Grade: SB-5, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Poverty Reduction
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-01-25