Construction Engineer-Field Office Jerusalem
Construction Engineer, Grade 14
Deadline for Applications
27 January 2018
Contract Type & Duration
Fixed-term appointment of 3 years including 1 year probation period, with the possibility of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need.
Vacancy Announcement Number
Duty Station & Department
Field Office Jerusalem - •Infrastructure and Camp Improvement Programme
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women and welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for professionals like you.
UNRWA's human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency's operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 5,000 staff in the West Bank Field Office working to foster the human development of some 800,000 registered Palestine refugees.••
The incumbent of this post is responsible to the Chief Field Infrastructure and Camp Improvement Programme (CFICIP).
The main responsibilities include:
In accordance with established Agency policy and procedures, the• incumbent:
• Assists CFICIP in the supervision and direction of the construction projects in UNRWA installations in the West Bank.
• Controls the work of the Site Engineers in the Construction Division, as assigned under his/her supervision, and monitors their performance;
• Prepares cost estimates, variation orders, interim and final payments, bills of quantities and construction details, as required;
• Prepares correspondence and reports including weekly and monthly progress reports, technical reports and completion reports;
• Visits sites on a daily basis to direct the work of the Site Engineers, to monitor progress and ensure that contractors comply with the contract documents for all projects within his/her area;
• Checks the materials supplied and arranges for their testing;
• Controls construction costs and ensures that adequate funds are• available;
• Performs such other duties as may be assigned.•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Conditions of service•
Monthly basic salary JD 985.01 plus an allowance of 1000 NIS payable in JD at UNRWA rate.
Other benefits include:
• Provident Fund contribution (7.5 % of basic salary staff member contribution,• 15% of basic salary paid by the Agency)
• Dependency allowances (if applicable)
• 30 days of annual leave
• Compulsory medical insurance
Possession of a valid driving License.
To qualify for this position, you will need:
University degree in Civil Engineering.
At least four years working experience in construction of which two years should have been in site-supervision work and technical administration.
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and Arabic.
• Good knowledge of the application of computer in construction & project management.
• Knowledge and experience in UNRWA installations.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ability to work in a team
• Ability to work under pressure in an efficient and timely manner
• Good communication skills
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
How to apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address and mobile phone number that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile are accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or interview can be contacted by e-mail or phone.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
Date of issue: 13 January 2018
- Organization: UNRWA - United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees
- Location: Nepalgunj
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Closing Date: 2018-01-27