Gender and Learning Officer - 1 Vacancy based in Moroto (Open to Ugandan Nationals Only)
Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Karamoja, Acholi and West Nile regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability. Among the many country programmes is the Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Extremes and Disasters (BRACED) whose implementation period is 2015-2019.
BRACED is being implemented in the Karamoja Region of Uganda, as well as Wajir County Kenya. The BRACED Mercy Corps programme is designed around three integrated thematic focus areas – Lands/NRM, Market Systems Development and Governance. Mercy Corps recently received an 18-month extension operating from January 2018-June 2019.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Gender & Learning Officer will have a duel role of helping mainstream gender into all BRACED activities and further contribute to the tracking, analysis and learning of all BRACED activities. Reporting to the Project Manager, s/he will help ensure all activities use a gender lens when identifying, engaging and working with beneficiaries and stakeholders. S/he will create tracking tools to ensure team members and community members are reaching their goals. S/he will work with teams to identify learning points, develop and implement small learning and research activities and draft reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Help sectors develop workplans and activities that are gender sensitive and account for gender norms in Karamoja region
· Assist team members in the implementation of certain activities that require a gender sensitive approach
· Develop individual learning agenda with targeted research questions and learning areas to answer over 18 month period
· Responsible for managing and updated the program’s PM@MC system
· Draft tools for assessments, studies and learning reports
· Manage enumerators and data entrants ensuring paperwork and work is completed on time and on scope
· Enter and clean program data ensuring data is up to date
· Support M&E Officer in monthly, quarterly and annual data pulls for reporting
· Monitor program and M&E documents ensuring all attendance sheets, beneficiary data is compiled alongside a program report
· Organize all files from BRACED and BRACED X
· Work with M&E Officer to report to team on a monthly basis on database and issues/challenges
· Provide support on drafting learning pieces and monthly reports
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor's degree preferably in BSc (Economics), BSc (Statistics), B. Quantitative Economics, B. Population Studies or Development studies with a certificate level qualification in computer applications.
· At least 3 years of related professional experience
· Demonstrable quantitative skills, including familiarity with database management and analysis
· Superior writing and analytical skills
· Proven skills in networking, assessing information needs and developing appropriate tools
· Excellent reporting, communication and representation skills
· Experience implementing gender sensitive programming
· Knowledge of Uganda’s gender norms, particularly in the context of rural development and Karamoja.
· Skilled in promoting organization learning and knowledge acquisition and sharing
· Fluency in N’Karamojong preferred
· 30% Travel in Karamoja required
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
· A strong team player, with good communication and diplomatic skills.
· Proven ability to work independently as part of a national team and with international professionals.
· Excellent analytical and information management skills.
· Good organizational skills and ability to work under stress and in austere contexts of remote locations.
· Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving.
· Attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
· Proven excellence maintaining professional internal and external relationships.
· Motorcycle permit and ability to ride a motorcycle is required
Applications: Submit your application through email to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Wednesday, 24th January, 2018. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for**.** Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. one;