Business Intelligence and Partnership Intern
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information – the Philippines
UNOPS project portfolio in the Philippines encompasses a myriad programmatic areas and sectors. By tailoring its support to the need of partners, UNOPS provides professional, cost-effective sustainable services across three main areas: Project Management, Infrastructure, and Procurement. Across all projects, UNOPS identifies and targets key areas of need to develop capacity, promote sustainability and gender equality, and increase the efficiency and impact of projects while always upholding and supporting national ownership. The key aim of UNOPS is to provide excellence in service delivery while simultaneously enhancing the competency and capacity of development partners to ensure post-project sustainability.
Within the Philippines, UNOPS collaborates with, and supports, a wide range of development partners, including: the EU Delegation to the Philippines (GoJUST), KOICA (Reconstruction of the Abrigo Hospital Project and the Renovation of the Fishery Port in Ilo Ilo province)
In addition to UN-UN collaboration, UNOPS works closely with both International Non-governmental Organizations (INGO) and counterparts to support service provision to the people of Philippines.
UNOPS KHOH is also overseeing business activities and providing support and services to UNOPS operations in other countries, especially within the Mekong Region and Cambodia.
UNOPS KHOH is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio comprised of projects and programs in the infrastructure, governance, procurement, justice and agricultural sector and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Based in Manila, the Philippines, this role will involve supporting UNOPS KHOH to work with the Government of Japan as well as private sector entities in Cambodia, Lao PDR, Viet Name and the Philippines.
Under overall supervision of the Director KHOH, the incumbent will report to the Project Manager (GoJust) and will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Research and update partner profiles;
- Update and maintain partner profiles according to changing/shifting donor priorities, areas of focus, country strategies;
- Analyse strategic priorities and regional focus of identified key partners;
- Research strategic areas of cooperation with key partners that support UNOPS’ positioning;
- Identify best practices and lessons learnt and document such findings in a standardized format;
- Conduct data collection, research and analysis in order to identify UNOPS references, methodologies and major achievements by reviewing UNOPS past project data/information
- Prepare briefing materials and post-event summaries for a variety of workshops, missions and discussions with both internal and external partners;
- Help organize events (and/or UNOPS presence at existing events) to showcase UNOPS achievements to relevant partners;
- Contribute to conduct direct support of business development opportunities (proposals, technical advice, workshops) ;
- Participate in developing standardized business development tools and templates, pricing and costing methodologies for assisting in the procurement business development actions across UNOPS;
- Share knowledge on business development strategies and activities; participate in competitive bidding processes and proposal writing and support and participate in business development missions as necessary;
- Support the PMBDU in developing business plans to retain or grow existing business and to formulate plan for new business or line of products/services;Participate and support the business development team in conducting market analysis and research;
- Participate and support the business development team in conducting market analysis and research;
- Assist the PMBDU in identifying partner needs and support the development of new products and services in sustainable procurement;
- Perform other duties as required.
Learning Opportunities offered to the Intern:
- In the performance of his/her duties, the intern will gain exposure to the full-range of UNOPS operations, clients, and donors. The intern will also gain key insight into the workings of the United Nations system as well as the interplay between donor-financing, partnership-building, field-work, and the political complexity involved in working at a United Nations organization.
- The intern will also gain expose to an international and culturally diverse environment where s/he will be in a unique position to gain an understanding of the dynamics of working in a multicultural setting and the challenges and opportunities involved therein.
- To the extent possible, the intern will have full access and be able to participate in the full range of UNOPS training and educational opportunities.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- The applicant must be pursuing a university degree such as Bachelor or Masters. (or the equivalent), or have graduated from such studies within three years prior to the application date of the internship.
- The preferred candidate would have a combination of degrees or pursuing studies in the areas of development studies, public policy/administration, international relations, international development, economics, business, political sciences, public management, communications, engineering, or other related areas.
- Business Development
- Project Management Support
- Partner engagement
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- International development sector experience
The ideal candidate would have a combination of private and international public sector experience, including in the following areas:
- Strategic planning and development
- Data analysis
- Market research and analysis
- Client/donor research
- Capture planning
- Programme and project acquisition/development
- Competitor analysis
- Official Development Assistance (ODA) analysis
- The candidate should also have knowledge of, and experience with, Microsoft Office programs, particularly with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Japanese is required.
- Fluency in other UN languages is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Six (6) months with possible extension.
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff/ICA position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend (10% to 15% of the reduced DSA) + travel allowance as per UNOPS internship policy provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.