Project Assistant- Empowering Women in Agribusiness and Fishing Value Chains in the Red Sea State
Kachin State (Myanmar)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to sustainable development, economic transformation, women empowerment and improved livelihoods in Sudan through women’s effective contribution to employment, job and income creation.
This project is developed to enhance women’s economic empowerment in the context of Sudan’s current efforts to end poverty, strengthen social cohesion, stability and build lasting peace, while bridging the Humanitarian-Development and Peace pillars. This first phase will build women’s capacity in agribusiness focusing on ‘baby food making, fish preservation, fish processing and fish net making’. These are areas that already have a comparative advantage, are culturally and economically dominated by women, accepted as their spaces, but up to date have received very minimal strategic attention and support.
UN Women’s unique approaches to Women Economic empowerment, tested in many countries in the region, will be leveraged to fast track project implementation. This will include enhancing access to skills and technology, supporting women to organize in cooperatives or networks, improving access to business development and finance, as well as access to markets. Baseline study will be conducted to assess where women are in the various value chains to determine entry points and opportunities to support them better. Women involved in the project will also be linked to relevant public and private institutions to help them access services and influence policy.
The project will reach out to empower urban, peri-urban and rural women and girls in the most vulnerable situations including women with disabilities, women survivors of GBV, women and girls in Refugee and IDP camps to become vibrant economic change agents. It sets out to reach at least 500 primary beneficiaries over 1 year. Its implementation will contribute to SDGs localization in Sudan ‘leaving no one behind’.
General Objective: To contribute to sustainable development, economic transformation, women empowerment and improved livelihoods in Sudan through women’s effective contribution to employment, job and income creation
Specifically, the project sets out to:
- Increase productivity of women small farm/business holders in food processing and support technology that reduces their physical burden of work.
- Improve women’s access to finance and increase their capacity to invest in agribusiness, especially processing baby food and fish preservation and processing.
Promote women’s opportunities to move up the value chain in food and fish processing by building their business development skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Prepare all budgets and maintain detailed records of all financial transactions and accounts related to the project;
- Analyze expenditures and provide project management with regular annotated statements of expenditures;
- Calculate and process payments, salaries, allowances, overtime, travel claims, etc., to all project staff, consultants, vendors and other claimants;
- Prepare periodic financial reports, as well as other special reports as required;
- Ensure timely and effective delivery of payment to clients;
- Arrange and maintain project financial documents for auditing purpose;
- Regularly liaise with UN Women’s financial and procurement administrations for advice or tracking purpose of finances and assets;
- Be responsible for tasks related to personnel matters, preparation of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files;
- Assist project personnel on general administrative matters relating to visas, licenses, security clearance, travel arrangements. provides advice and ensures administrative support as required;
- Establish and maintain a filing system of all project documents;
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports;
- Organize backstopping missions to/from and within Sudan related to the Project;
- Arrange for and/or attend meetings on day-to-day administrative matters; participate in review of new or revised procedures and practices;
- Undertake any other task assigned by the supervisor
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge or the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Core Values and Ethics:
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and ability to work in a multi-national environment
- Support the Organization’s corporate goals
- Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Build effective client relationships and partnerships;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Build and share knowledge;
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Listen actively and respond effectively
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Possess basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
University degree in accounting, business administration, development studies, economics, or related field.