UN Women: Consultant- Programme Coordination
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women will advance its efforts in Nepal in accordance with its unique role and triple mandate (normative, operational and coordination) and lessons learnt to achieve gender equality and empower women and girls in Nepal to realize their human rights. The two main components of the country programme will contribute to UN Women Global Strategic Plan (SP) results. The Governance and Leadership component will contribute mainly to Outcome 2 (women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems) and Outputs 2.1 - 2.4. The work under Outcome 2 will also feed into Outputs 4.1 and 5.1. The Women’s Economic Empowerment component is related to Outcome 3 (women have income security, better jobs and economic autonomy) and its Outputs 3.1 – 3.3. This component also contributes to Output 5.3. UN Women interventions will also contribute to Nepal UNDAF 2018-2022 pillars on Sustainable and Inclusive Growth (UNDAF Outcome 1, By 2022, impoverished, especially economically vulnerable, unemployed and under-employed and vulnerable people have increased access to sustainable livelihoods, safe and decent employment and income opportunities) and Governance and Rule of Law (UNDAF Outcome 4, By 2022, inclusive, democratic, accountable and transparent institutions are further strengthened towards ensuring rule of law, social justice and human rights for all particularly for vulnerable people).
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Country Representative Nepal, the Consultant is responsible for substantially contributing to the implementation, monitoring and oversight of the country programme and supporting its implementation to ensure effective and efficient delivery of results as planned in UN Women’s Strategic Plan and the CO plans.
1. Coordinate with the programme team
- Coordinate the day-to-day work of the programme team, including finalizing the programme team’s annual workplan;
- Lead the process of programme conceptualization, planning, implementing and monitoring with the programme team;
- Lead the process of preparing programme implementation progress reports and identifying areas for UN Women Country Representative’s action and/or decision.
2. Provide advisory and specialized technical support on the strategic direction of the office
- Advise and guide the Country Representative on strategic areas;
- Provide specialized technical and strategic support in managing all aspects of the programme design and related activities and for ensuring compliance and accountability in programme monitoring, reporting and evaluation;
- Develop policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for use in the development and presentation of innovative and coherent policy and programmatic positions.
3. Represent UN Women in UN system coordination, with a focus on programming
- Ensure UN Women’s participation in UN system thematic and other working groups (UNDAF, HCT and program management committees with Government of Nepal) to advance UN Women’s mandate.
4. Provide technical support in creation of strategic partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive research and inputs in the formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy;
- Establish and maintain relations with government, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation and resource mobilization.
5. Represent UN Women and support advocacy strategies
- Represent and advocate for UN Women in organizational, regional, global, public information/ relations events and key meetings, as delegated;
- Develop and implement advocacy and public communication strategies.
6. Facilitate knowledge management, innovation and capacity building
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women’s empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Oversee the design and implementation of capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge.
- Well-coordinated plans available and implemented (annual Implementation plan of each programme team) to ensure minimum 90% delivery for each team by the end of 2018;
- Progress reports of partners with quality standards received and approved within deadlines;
- Quarterly and donor reports with quality standard submitted within deadlines for approval;
- Minimum three high quality prodocs developed and available for strategic partnerships and resource mobilization;
- Substantive inputs to inter-agency mechanism (UNDAF, HCT, federalism working group, sun-national government program development partner group and program management committees with Government of Nepal);
- Substantive technical inputs to programme team;
- Quality assurance of programme deliverables.
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS:
- Payment will be made, not more than once per month, based upon certification of satisfactory services and deliverables in accordance with the TOR.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Ability to provide policy advice and support to partners
- Ability to synthesize programme performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management
- Strong knowledge of the UN system
- Strong knowledge of local country context
- Strong negotiation skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in international development, public administration, public policy or other relevant social science fields is required.
- At least five years of progressively responsible professional experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in development programme with a strong focus in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment at the national or international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programmes;
- Field based experience working with multi-cultural teams;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN working language will be an asset.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Expression of interest explaining why you are interested to this position and what professional skills and experiences you have to support your interest is strong;
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded: http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment;
- A sample of recent original writing;
- A separate page of financial proposal quoting price against each deliverable in the following format:
Estimated Days and Cost (USD)
1. Well-coordinated plans available and implemented (annual Implementation plan of each program team) to ensure minimum 90% delivery for each team by the end of 2018;
2. Progress reports of partners with quality standards received and approved within deadlines;
3. Quarterly and donor reports with quality standard submitted within deadlines for approval;
4. Minimum three high quality pro-docs developed and available for strategic partnerships and resource mobilization;
5. Substantive inputs to inter-agency mechanism (UNDAF, HCT, federalism working group, sun-national government program development partner group and program management committees with Government of Nepal);
6. Substantive technical inputs to program team;
7. Quality assurance of program deliverables.
Is the above cost negotiable? Yes ……. No………….
Note: The proposed cost should be based on the TOR for this position but not based on the history of a person's earning rates.
Education: Master’s degree in international development, public administration, public policy or other relevant social science fields (20 points);
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible professional experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in development programme with a strong focus in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment at the national or international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programme (30 points);
Experience: Field based experience working with multi-cultural teams (10 points);
Writing skill based on the writing sample (10 points).
Note: The candidates scoring a minimum 70% (49 points) will be considered for further evaluation. Qualified candidates may be selected for a consultant roster for a similar scope of work.