Gender Advisor - in the Cabinet Secretary's Office
UN Women is the United Nations' entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women. It was established in July 2010 by the UN General Assembly to accelerate progress on meeting women's needs worldwide and as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. Globally, UN Women is mandated to supports international political negotiations to formulate globally agreed standards for gender equality, assist UN member states to implement those standards by providing expertise and financial support, and assist other UN agencies in their efforts to advance gender equality across a broad spectrum of issues related to human rights and human development. Through Programme and Technical Assistance in countries that request its assistance, UN Women works with government and non governmental partners to help them put in place pollees, laws, services, and resources that women require to move towards equality.
UN Women in Kenya has over the years supported the national gender machinery to implement its mandate for the citizens of Kenya through technical and financial assistance on gender equality and women's empowerment initiatives.
It is under this context that UN Women seeks the services of a highly qualified Gender Advisor to support the Cabinet Secretary for MoPSYGA. The Gender Advisor's key role is to provide advisory support to the Cabinet Secretary to in the implementation of mandate in relation to Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment. The Advisor is also expected to provide strategic advice to strengthen the capacity of the State Department of Gender Affairs. The advisor will work closely with the other advisors in the office of the Cabinet Secretary.
Additionally, the Advisor will be expected to report to UN Women Country Director as the seconding agency, to ensure close collaboration and coordination. The post will also closely work with other stakeholders (Parliament in particular KEWOPA), civil society, private sector). Within the UN Delivering as One, the Gender Advisor is expected to contribute to the United Nations Development Framework results.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic advice to the Cabinet Secretary :
• Provide analysis and strategic advice to the Cabinet Secretary on current gender issues and opportunities including through preparation of regular analytical briefs and speeches;
• Identify and advise on entry points for new initiatives for the MoPSYGAto strengthen national and local capacities for gender equality and to support the advancement of women's empowerment and gender equality;
• Provide strategiC advice to ensure MoPSYGAis compliant to national, regional and international commitments on gender equality and women's empowerment during the UNDAF implementation;
• Advise and support the Cabinet Secretary in forging strategiC partnerships at the all levels to promote gender equality and women's empowerment.
Coordination and Knowledge Management:
• Provision of technical advice to the Cabinet Secretary as required, in the coordination of emerging technical issues in line national gender equality priorities;
• Act as resource person in capacity building, knowledge sharing events and other relevant activities on gender equality and women's empowerment in the Ministry;
• Coordinate gender equality and women's empowerment activities in the Cabinet Secretary office in close consultation with other advisors;
• Ensure knowledge sharing, documentation and dissemination of good practices on gender equality, women's empowerment and rights within the Cabinet Secretary Office and the State Department of Gender;
• Support in close consultation with MoPSYGACommunications Group, the communication of gender equality and women's empowerment results to external audiences.
Representation and Partnership Building:
• Support the Cabinet Secretary's role as the Co- Chair of the Gender Sector Working Group;
• Support the Cabinet Secretary to maintain active relationship/partnerships with relevant stakeholders including inter-government and non governmental organizations, institutes and academia on women's issue to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and share and influence agenda and priority setting.
COMPETENCIES CORE VALUES:
Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff; Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values:
Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Organizational Awareness:
Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Development and Innovation:
Take charge of self-development and take initiative
• Work in teams:
Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing:
Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
• Conflict Management:
Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
• Proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice in gender equality, women's rights and women's empowerment;
• Knowledge of Government and UN System and understanding of interagency coordination processes;
• Ability to lead strategic planning, programme development and implementation, results-based management and reporting;
• Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships;
• Knowledge of methodologies and best practices for promoting gender equality, equity and women empowerment in Kenya;
• High degree of political acumen and sensitivity and demonstrated ability to achieve results in politically and operationally complex environments;
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
• Master's degree or equivalent in gender, women's studies, social sciences, international development, international relations or other development related fields.
• A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in development, focused on providing policy advice, technical assistance and/or programming around gender equality, women's empowerment and women's rights issues; part of which should include previous field experience with the UN or an international development organization;
• Experience writing analytical documents and reports;
• Experience in coordination and advocacy;
• Strong public speaking skills and representational experience;
• Knowledge of and experience in Kenya desirable;
• Good knowledge of the Government of Kenya system;
• Substantive experience and record of accomplishment in gender equality and women's empowerment issues at policy and programming level;
• Experience with implementing gender mainstreaming agendas across a variety of sectors, including experience gender mainstreaming in governmental bodies;
• Experience working with the UN in development contexts;
• Experience working with women's movements, and civil society and familiarity with women's rights organizations and networks in the region and globally.
• Fluency in written and spoken English