Data Management Lead
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of technology solutions that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs) globally.
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity
The Data Management Lead will be responsible for the following duties:
- Lead a team responsible for the plan, design, development, coordination, training and delivery of Reporting and Data Management (RDM) services from UN Entebbe Support Base (UNESB).
- Assist RDM BSM/Coordinator in projects and activities including project management, architecture, technical feasibility, RDM support and propagation, requirement analysis and tactical resource and delivery planning.
- Take ownership of technical delivery of DPKO/DFS related BI and data services
- Participate in the process of defining, designing and reviewing information management related projects, ETL mappings, data warehousing and business intelligence architecture, data quality, and best practices
- Prepare authoritative advice and guidance on the application and operation of various data and reporting systems and new technologies
- Coordinate with data management, MDM, business intelligence teams and subjects matter experts to establish standards/governance and resolve conflicts in data definitions, data sources, master data and business rules
- Assist in analyzing project portfolio progress according to plans, requirements, standards and processes
- Manage performance of all assigned resources and build partnership with business and other technical teams
- Conduct business requirements gathering and gap analysis through discovery sessions, user surveys/interviews and other forms of communication.
- Isolate trends and proactively identify potential operations issues and be able to consolidate and integrate a wide range of inputs. Must be able to decompose high level requirements and formulate them in detailed specification
- Ensure that the business requirements documents are maintained and the proper change control processes are followed.
- Work with technical support team for release, change and problem management activities
- Provide guidance and manage the performance of technical resources
- Keep abreast of information management, master data management, business intelligence tools, data storage technologies and data warehousing development concepts
- Serve as UNOPS ICTD programme representative on the ground in UNESB and assit senior programme manager with administrative matters
- Perform other related duties as required;
The result of work of the Data Management Lead impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Electronics, Communications, Business Adminsitration/Management, Finance, Engineering or related fields.
- A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive experience in information management /technology may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in design, development, and implementation and maintenance of complex information systems mainly focus data, reporting and analytics domains.
- Excellent reporting/BI, data architecture and overall data warehousing skills including several years of experience in managing information management systems,
- Extensive knowledge of SAP Business Objects, MS Power BI or related enterprise scale BI platform(s)
- Significant expertise with a variety of database software (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle), ETL Tools
- Ability to work with multiple levels of management across technology and the supported organization units
- In depth skills in identifying and capturing business rules and business requirements in the context of information management systems.
- Proficient in resolving data and analytics related debugging and problem resolution.
- Experience in managing the activities of development / programming personnel in dispersed and/or offshore evironments
- Excellent team building and talent management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication/presentation skills; able to tailor communication style to effectively meet the needs of the audience
- Solid project management skills
- Excellent understanding of service management
- PRINCE2 Practitioner or PMP certifications.
- Experience in Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of a second UN language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract duration: 1 year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services