Gender Specialist/ Специалист по гендерным вопросам
The new UNDP Strategic Plan for 2018-2021 underlines the importance of gender equality. Strengthening gender equality is one of the signature solutions of the Strategic Plan. The UNDP country office (CO) in Kazakhstan is planning to strengthen its work devoted to promotion of gender equality. Moreover, it is planning to apply for Gender Equality Seal programme, a corporate certification process, in 2018. As part of the gender mainstreaming into programme process, the Gender Task Force was set in the country office, with the task, among others, to develop and promote the UNDP Kazakhstan Gender Equality Strategy (GES).
There is a need to support the GTF and the CO management with the expertise in to ensure that gender is effectively mainstreamed in the programme of the country office, as defined by the CPD. It is also needed to review the CO porgrammes and projects, asses the level of their correspondence to the country gender equality priorities, develop CO gender mainstreaming profile, develop outline for CO Gender Strategy and assist the CO in developing the gender mainstreaming tools and go through the Gender Equality Seal certification process. Therefore, a Gender Specialist will be hired to support the country office.
In line with the corporate strategic documents, the CO envisages to identify the areas for solid work on gender equality and help to improve the programme efficiency to deliver gender equality results as well as greater consistency in gender mainstreaming across all projects. To this end the CO is willing to review the programme and projects and asses the level of correspondence to the country gender equality priorities. This assessment will also build the basis for formulation of the CO Gender Equality Strategy, which will guide the CO planning and implementation of gender mainstreaming efforts across UNDP Kazakhstan programmes and projects.
As gender equality is fully incorporated in UNDP’s core corporate services, the Gender Specialist will play a strong advocacy role, internally and externally, for promotion of gender equality, empowerment of women and girls, conformity to key international conventions such as CEDAW, and pursuit of Sustainable Development Goals with a gender perspective. In addition, s/he will provide technical advice to the Resident Representative and Deputy Resident Representative on Gender mainstreaming. S/he will work in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery. Under direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative/Gender Focal Point, the Gender Specialist will support the CO management to prepare for and implement the Gender Equality Seal certification in 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review the CO programmes/projects and operations and national gender policies, asses the level of correspondence of the UNDP programme with the country gender equality priorities;
- Develop the CO Gender Equality Strategy and assist the CO in developing the gender mainstreaming profile and tools;
- Assist the CO management and GTG in the Gender Equality Seal certification process;
- Share knowledge and raise awareness of the CO staff about the gender equality.
- Conduct a mapping exercise to identify a base line of gender mainstreaming in the programme and operations of the CO and suggest a set of recommendations to improve the situation, with an action plan to reach it;
- Review and stand guided by: the corporate UNDP Gender Policies, the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy, the Country Programme Document 2016-2020 of the CO in Kazakhstan, Project Documents, Country Gender Assessment conducted by other international organizations (IFIs, relevant UN Agencies, etc.), and other relevant documentation;
- Hold meetings and discussions with CO staff (Programme, Projects and Operations) to conduct deep analysis and identify entry points on integration of gender mainstreaming across the programme/project interventions;
- Conduct a Perceptions and Gender Knowledge Survey among the CO staff, in order to document the level of knowledge and willingness to integrate the gender equality into programme and operations. Measure repeatedly, if needed;
- Following the results of the analysis and surveys, hold focus (portfolio) group discussions the programme and project managers, bilateral meetings with staff to support them to mainstream the gender indicators and activities into their projects/Annual Working Plans. Guide the project teams during the implementation of the concrete project initiatives, as appropriate;
- Produce a report, based on the pre and post evaluation with short overview of the outcomes, flagging challenges, lessons learns and recommendation as the way forward;
- Define key gender partners and stakeholders to be met throughout the assignment to discuss priorities, future cooperation and possible joint fundraising;
- Conduct regular consultations with the other key agencies, UN Women, UNFPA and UNICEF and key national women’s organizations. Attend the quarterly UN County Team Gender Thematic Group meetings;
- Support the CO in designing/formulation of a unique stand-alone gender project (matching GEN 3 gendermarker attribute);
- Conduct gender expertise of the new developing Project Documents and review existing project to incorporate gender mainstreaming activities;
- Look for possibilities and support the CO in designing/formulation of a project jointly with UN Women and/or other UN Agencies.
- In close collaboratrion with the Gender Task Force, draft the CO Gender Equality strategy and the Action Plan to it;
- Support the CO in developing the gender mainstreaming tools;
- Review knowledge products, Project Documents and existing M&E Frameworks to ensure integration of gender issues and that gender equality results are assessed against the priorities of the national Gender Equality Strategy;
- Review all external communication materials for gender sensitivity and use of appropriate language.
- Support CO’s self-assessment against the Seal Benchmarks;
- Review GSS results from gender perspectives to analyze staff perception as well as the difference between male and female responses, identify knowledge gaps and rooms for further improvement;
- In close collaboration with HR Unit review the introductory package for the newcomers for integration gender responsive policies requirements (including HR recruitment policy and procurement policies) for development of infographics, info-sheets;
- Review corporate guidelines for adopting them to Kazakhstani context and develop Guidelines on gender-sensitive language for UNDP CO;
- Review the CO Communications Strategy and consult, as appropriate, the CO’s PR specialists to ensure gender equality is properly communicated internally and externally;
- Conduct other tasks as required by the Gender Focal Point and Gender Task Force for smooth and successful process of Gender Equality Seal certification.
- In close cooperation with the Learning Team and GTF, conduct regular training for the CO staff;
- Develop and conduct Gender training sessions for all new incoming UNDP CO staff;
- Consult the CO staff on gender policies and empowerment, as might be requested;
- Support the GTF and communications specialist during the gender-related advocacy campaigns (16 Days of activism, others);
- Support the project staff in implementation of concrete gender-related activities and communications of their results, if/as might be requested.
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Strong background in development research methodologies with a specific focus on the areas of gender;
- Demonstrable knowledge of facilitating and planning workshops and training of gender related issues;
- Be engaging, innovative and active during presentations;
- Demonstrated analytical and writing skills;
- Excellent interviewing and oral skills;
- Reliability and timeliness in keeping deadlines and delivering high quality products;
- A good team player, with confidence to work with minimum supervision;
- Demonstrated advocacy and communications skills;
- Openness to change and an ability to manage complexity.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP practice areas;
- Promotes a learning environment in the office;
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in gender studies, gender and development, human rights, law, political science, sociology or related field;
- Master’s degree or PhD in a related field is a strong advantage.
- At least 5 years of working experience in the field of gender/gender mainstreaming and women empowerment;
- Knowledge of gender equality policies and budgeting and gender mainstreaming into development programmes;
- Strong communications and advocacy skills;
- Strong analytical, presentation and reporting skills;
- Specialized training/certifications in the related area is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral Russian and English languages;
- Knowledge of Kazakh language is preferable.
NB! How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should apply on-line through this site by clicking "APPLY NOW" button. Incomplete applications will not be given consideration.
Please note that only short-listed applications will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.