Head of Communications
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-20 HC/IRS/HQ
Head of Communications
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a highly motivated Head of Communications responsibleforthecreation,implementation,andoversightoftheCIP communicationandmarketing strategic plan. The position requires a dynamic professional with leadership in designing and managing marketing and communications campaigns with an emphasis on storytelling to convey CIP’s impact globally across a diverse set of stakeholders.
This position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to the Director of Resource Mobilization and be part of the Senior Management Team. The overall goal of the CIP Communications function is to assist in mobilizing resources by increasing visibility and understanding of CIP’s mission and vision, by aggressively communicating the CIP brand and its impact. The successful candidate will manage a team of professionals within the Communications and Knowledge Resources Center tasked with developing integrated communications for fundraising, as well as for the design, production, and dissemination of key print and electronic materials which include the annual report, website, electronic newsletters, project materials, multimedia presentations, speeches and presentations for the Director General and other leaders.
• Develops communication and marketing strategies to support CIP’s Strategic and Corporate Plan aligning to the Sustainable Development Goals
• Identifies and manages position marketing work and communication campaigns in support of the organization’s overall resource mobilization targets and of significant interest to key strategic donors and partners
• Increases visibility and understanding of CIP vision and purpose, particularly with donors • Utilizes storytelling techniques to convey CIP key message to influencers and stakeholders • Leads in communicating CIP brand and enforcing branding guidelines
• Manages the day-to-day functioning of CIP’s communications channels, including the website, social media channels and e-publishing materials.
• Gathers and expands CIP reach and uptake through effective use of social media, oral, graphic and audiovisual tools, as well as digital branding
• Supports the Director General and senior managers with their communications needs, including speeches, emails, letters and talking points for internal and external meetings. Assists with the coordination of regular staff meetings.
• Oversees CIP Knowledge Resources including the library and open access functions • Actively engages with broader CGIAR communication teams and activities• Champions internalcommunications across theinstitutionby partneringwithrelevantcolleagues and units and spearheading knowledge and communication sharing
• Guides, as relevant, the development of communications elements in future programmatic
• Develops and manages financial and human resources, and negotiates and creates relevant
contracts with external vendors.
• Masters’ degree in public relations, business, or relevant disciplines.
• At least 8 years of relevant work experience.
• Experience in communications in a scientific setting preferred
• Ability to understand how to utilize both traditional forms of communication (i.e. print material)
and new media techniques to promotetheorganization’s accomplishments toawideand diverse
• Demonstrated experience translating scientific information into formats and messages for
• Demonstrated success liaising among partners or projects to enhance communication and public
• Successful track record in communications and marketing strategy and implementation, working
across the marketing communication mix, at senior level
• Demonstrated people management and team building skills
• Proactive approach, with ability to find creative ways to solve problems or exploit potentials
• Superb written communication skills in English, with knowledge of Spanish or another language
• Understanding of research, development, international agriculture, environmental, and food
issues, and global context preferred
The International Potato Center (CIP) is celebrating over 45 years of research dedicated to working
with small holder farmers to improve their lives through roots and tuber crops. In 2016 three CIP
scientists received the World Food Prize for their working on biofortified orange fleshed sweetpotato
to reduce hidden hunger and specifically vitamin A deficiency. CIP also received the Al-Sumait Award
for African Food Security for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work. CIP is dedicated to achieving food
security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber
farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP is an international non-profit agricultural
research for development institution with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean Root and
Tuber Crops. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru with staff and offices in over 20 locations across
Africa, Asia, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research
centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor
Conditions: Employmentcontract willbe for a three-year term with the possibility of renewal. Salary
will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. CIP
provides additional benefits including employer-paid medical, life and disability insurance and
retirement benefits. Allowances toward relocation, housing, home leave travel, dependents’education and annual leave are also provided. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including acover letter, a full C.V. withthe names and contact
informationofthree references thatareknowledgeableofthecandidate’s professionalqualifications
and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on February 19, 2018 and will continue
until the post is filled. Allapplications will beacknowledged; however onlyshort listedcandidates will
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries
are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Lima (Peru)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Communication and Public Information
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-02-22