National Legal Expert for the Development of a Database for Sharing Information on Corruption and Organized Crime Cases
The project Support to Anti-Corruption Efforts in Kosovo (SAEK) II is expected to have a positive impact on reducing the level of corruption in Kosovo by strengthening monitoring and oversight mechanisms of institutions to perform in an efficient, transparent, accountable, and gender sensitive manner. The project will ensure greater transparency and accountability of those institutions responsible for delivering public services and create the necessary requirements for more participatory governance at the local level.
SAEK II takes an innovative and holistic approach towards anti-corruption by focusing both on the “supply-side” and the “demand side” of democratic governance and taking into consideration different levels of intervention, working directly with central government authorities, local/municipal actors, civil society and the citizens themselves.
Activities implemented under SAEK II Component 1 will focus on strengthening the capacities of the Kosovo Anti-Corruption Agency (KAA) to become an effective external control mechanism for ethics, integrity and efficiency of the public administration. As identified as a priority by the EC Kosovo Reports, the project will also focus on enhancing active partnership and stronger collaboration and coordination amongst relevant stakeholders on anti-corruption issues, particularly amongst the KAA, prosecution and law enforcement.
In this light, UNDP SAEK II seeks to engage a consultant to support the development of the inter-institutional agreement framework for the establishment of database within the Office of the Chief Prosecutor by which the prosecution services will have direct access to information contained in databases within the Kosovo Police, the Tax Administration and other relevant institutions. The secure database, to be housed within the Office of the Prosecutor, will allow investigators direct access to criminal intelligence, relevant police investigative information and assets, income and tax records of targets of criminal cases pertaining to organized crime and corruption related offenses. The database, to be modeled on the existing database of the Republic of Croatia State Prosecution, USKOK, will contribute to the establishment of a track record of successful corruption and organized crime cases. The consultant will work closely with an IT consultant who will be tasked with developing the technical information technology specifications.It is expected that at the end of the assignment the Consultant will deliver model Memoranda of Understanding among the Office of the Chief Prosecutor, the Kosovo Police and the Tax Administration.
 This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence
Objectives of Assignment
Develop draft MoUs for sharing data among the prosecution, police and tax administration for the database for sharing information in the pre-investigation phase of corruption and organized crime cases.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the SAEK II Project Manager, and in daily cooperation with the Office of the Chief Prosecutor, the Consultant shall be assigned to carry out the following tasks:
1. Development of model MoUs based on the following key principles:a. Review of all relevant legal frameworks (laws and bylaws) relating to the prosecution, police, tax administration and criminal offenses pertaining to corruption and organized crime;b. Review of data sharing agreements and function specifics of the Croatian State Prosecution, USKOK;c. Drafting of model MoUs between the Office of the Chief Prosecutor and the Kosovo Police; Office of the Chief Prosecutor and the Tax Administration.
- Review the legal framework
- Review the legal framework
- Review regional best practices in data sharing agreements for criminal investigations in corruption and organized crime offenses
- Conduct meetings with the Office of the Chief Prosecutor, Police, Tax Administration on gathering input and feedback
- Development of 2 model MoUs for data sharing
- Draft MoU between the Office of the Chief Prosecutor and the Kosovo Police;
- Draft MoU between the Office of the Chief Prosecutor and the Tax Administration;
Scope of price proposal and schedule of payments
Recommended Presentation of Offer
Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability;
Personal CV or P11, indicating all experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment;
Financial Proposal - Lump sum payment schedule:
- First tranche (30%) to be transferred upon successful completion of the deliverables review of the legal framework and regional best practices (2 reports submitted).
- Second tranche (70%) to be transferred upon successful completion of the deliverables development of model MoUs for data sharing (draft models produced).
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time.
- Ability to work independently and takes initiative in addressing problems encountered.
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment; supports effective and efficient team work.
- Result oriented and constructive attitude.
- Analytical and strategic thinking / results oriented;
- Ability to design and manage coordination processes, including with multiple stakeholders;
- Good knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the position and ability to apply them consistently in work tasks;
- Good knowledge of information technology and ability to apply it in work assignments;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor in Law
- Minimum five (5) years of professional experience, as per the ToR, with an investigative body, a local authority or international organization;
- Experience in legal drafting;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to understand and successfully manage cultural/ethnic/political sensitivities are particularly important;
- Familiarity with relevant cross-cutting issues related to local sustainable development such as gender mainstreaming, environmental sustainability, human rights based approach, social inclusion and other issues as appropriate;
Language and Computer Requirements:
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and Albanian or Serbian languages.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.