Programme Associate for Geographic Information Systems and Urban Plans
Background Information - Job-specific
The European Union Support to Municipal Development – EU PRO Programme(1) will contribute to a more balanced socio-economic development of Serbia, by enhancing competitiveness and social cohesion of 99 municipalities, in two regions: Šumadija and Western Serbia and South and Eastern Serbia.(2) The European Union (EU) has allocated 25 million Euros for the implementation of the Programme during 36 months. The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) was selected for indirect management, through a Call for Expression of Interest.(3)
There are three results that the Programme will achieve:
- Result 1: Improved technological structure of SMEs and their ability to export
- Result 2: Improved conditions for business operations through more efficient administrative service provision, better land management and specific infrastructure investments
- Result 3: Better social cohesion and attractive living environment through improvement of small scale public infrastructure and social relations.
The direct beneficiaries of the EU PRO are local administration structures, local SMEs, civil society organisations (CSOs) and business support organisations (BSOs). The final beneficiaries are the inhabitants of 99 municipalities.
The EU PRO Programme is based on the National Priorities for International Assistance in the Republic of Serbia 2014-2017, with projections until 2020 (NAD)(4), significant for Serbia’s EU accession process and socio-economic development. Its activities will be undertaken in partnership with the Government of Serbia, while respecting the national strategies, laws and relevant development documents, in order to ensure national ownership and help develop national capacities.
(1) The Programmes is based on Serbia Local Development Action Document within the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA) 2016 http://europa.rs/eu-assistance-to-serbia/ipa/ipa-2016/?lang=en
(2) Forty-five municipalities are from the third and the fourth category of development, 44 are from the first and the second. The two regions, Šumadija and Western Serbia and South and Eastern Serbia, are less developed comparing to Belgrade and Vojvodina.
(3) The Call was organised by the Delegation of the European Union (DEU) in cooperation with the then European Integration Office of the Republic of Serbia (SEIO) in July 2016. The criteria included adequate administrative, financial and technical capacity, as well as criteria related to the quality of the Concept Note, including relevance; consistency with the objectives, results and activities of the Action, expected impact; sustainability and cost-effectiveness.
Under the direct supervision of the Sector Manager for Infrastructure, the Programme Associate for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Urban Plans (UP) will be responsible for the implementation of the projects related to introduction of GIS and development of urban plans that have potential to stimulate economic development. He/she will strongly contribute to the development of grant schemes for provision of support to GIS and UP, provide technical assistance to the beneficiaries of these activities, and ensure efficient and effective monitoring of supported projects.
The Programme Associate for GIS and UP will undertake the following specific activities/responsibilities:
- Maintain professional relationship with the local self-governments (LSGs), national and local organisations and development programmes/projects working on GIS and UP
- Contribute to presentation of the Programme’s GIS and UP activities
- Provide specialised knowledge needed for development of the Calls for Proposals for development of GIS and development of urban plans related to economic development
- Organise trainings, information sessions, and other events related to promotion of the Calls for Proposals (CFPs) for development of GIS and UP and capacity building of local and national partners
- Participate in evaluation of project proposals related to GIS and UP, as per request from the line manager and/or the Programme Manager
- With guidelines from the Sector Manager, manage implementation of projects related to GIS and UP development
- Provide technical assistance to the beneficiaries of GIS and UP activities in order to ensure fulfilment of products’ quality criteria, enhance outcomes, and address sustainability
- Provide inputs to Programme work, financial, procurement plans in parts related to GIS and UP
- Contribute to establishment and maintenance of archive related to GIS and urban planning activities
- Provide timely and punctual information to the Sector team about GIS and urban planning milestones as well as about relevant external developments about these fields
- Under the overall supervision of the Sector Manager, contribute to management of Assistants within the Sector, in implementation of GIS and UP related activities
- With the guidance of the Sector Manager, coordinate work of retainers and service providers needed for implementation of GIS and urban planning activities
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and implement mitigation measures in accordance with the Risk Management Strategy
- Contribute to development of the Programme’s reports and analysis related to GIS and spatial and urban planning development, with particular attention to results of the Programme’s initiatives
- With guidelines from the operations team and the Sector Manager, contribute to development of documentation needed for procurements and engagement of consultants related to GIS and UP
- Responsible for implementation of GIS and UP related grant contracts, grant contract budgets and interim and final reporting
- Draft reports as envisaged by the Programme Document, while in particular considering progress against the indicators in the logical framework matrix
- Contribute to identification and sharing of the Programme’s lessons learned and best practices
- Contribute to efficient and effective use of EU PRO and UNOPS tools for monitoring of Programme’s performance, outputs and benefits
- Provide support to the Programme’s communication and visibility activities
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.At the request of the RSOC Manager and as may be reasonably required, provide support to the RSOC activities in line with the scope of services above in order to further the common objectives of the RSOC and its projects’ donors.
- Secondary school diploma is required
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in a field related to spatial planning – Geography, Architecture, Geographic Information System or similar will be considered as an asset
- PRojects IN Controlled Environments (PRINCE2) Fondation Certification – preferred
- Seven years of experience in implementation of projects related to urban planning and geospatial data in LSGs in Serbia is required. BA or MA degree may substitute for some years of experience.
- In depth knowledge of Serbian Planning and Construction Law, cadastral and related laws is an asset
- Fluency in English and Serbian is required
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: Local ICA 7
Contract duration: One year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funds availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.